Bubbler/filter question for betta tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Hi all,
My daughter has been wanting a betta for over a year now, and after lots of reading and research, we went off to the LFS last week and found THE ONE!!! She bought a 5.5 gal tank, heater, pump/filter, and air pump/stone. Also, some silk and some live teeny plants, a moss ball, and a fishy fort. Water is staying a steady 78 degrees, lightly salted and Primed. She is doing 1/3 water changes every other day.

Here is the question...
We have noticed that the pump/filter are creating alot of current and pushing the little guy around quite a bit. He does have places to get out of the flow, but has to dart around to get to them. We tried turning the pump/filter off last night, and he was out and about in a second, exploring all over the place. So, are we better to run no filter, run it with a baffle (found a link in another betta thread to make one), run just an air pump/stone...? With the current water changes, does she need a filter and water pump? image.jpgimage.jpg
Thanks,
Jennie Beth

image.jpg image.jpg

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Cool setup and a handsome fella too!

I know my blue guy didn't know what to do when I got him out of his cup and put him in my 10g with a penguin bio-wheel filter. He got used to in in a matter of hours and has been happily swimming around ever since. He's quite fast now. Loves to swim in the water stream when I do water changes, etc.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Agreed. Leave the filter running. He'll get used to it and be just fine.

Also, you can stop adding salt. Bettas are FW fish, and do not need salt.

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
No salt at all? We had seen anywhere from a tsp to a tbsp of salt per 5 gal of water, in the betta books, so were going on the lighter side of that dosage.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
First off, he is GORGEOUS!! :D

Secondly, I agree with the above posters. I'd keep the filter, but if in the next couple of days he still seems like he's getting pushed around by it, then make the baffle or consider getting an adjustable filter where you can change the flow :)

Like OrionGirl said, there is no need for any sort of aquarium salt/marine salt/whatever salt you are using. Just keep the water a toasty 80F (at least from my experience, they show brighter colors in 80F compared to even 78F), and you'll have a happy boy!

EDIT: From my understanding, the whole adding "aquarium salt" as a disease preventive measure is a crock. Typically, people say this for mollies, as they are brackish fish technically and either need really hard water, or water with "salt." However, it's not aquarium salt they need, but marine salt. To my understanding, aquarium salt isn't benificial for anything. Unless I'm wrong, and some once can feel free to correct me :)

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Salt can be useful in treating specific ailments, for the short term, but as a long term additive it is not needed and provides no benefit. Without a hydrometer, you can't test the amount of salt in the water, and it doesn't evaporate off. So, this means that as you do normal water changes, the salinity creeps up and up...and that's not healthy. FW fish are not adapted for saltwater. It kills them.

You drink freshwater. Would you benefit from drinking water with a teaspoon of salt added to it?

Jennie Beth

AC Members
Feb 20, 2009
Graham, WA USA
Ok, no more salt :) We won't add any more, and as we do water changes it should gradually get back to all freshwater.

Going to try the baffle first and see how that goes. If it doesn't work, any suggestions on a good, low flow hob filter for such a small tank? And yes or no on using the air stone?

Thanks all, for the compliments on the little guy, and the info. I have pond fish, but they are big, poopy goldfish, in 600 gallons or so...completely different world from bettas.

Jennie Beth

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
No salt at all? We had seen anywhere from a tsp to a tbsp of salt per 5 gal of water, in the betta books, so were going on the lighter side of that dosage.
You *can* dose salt, but it's not necessary for most freshwater fish. Most freshwater fish where it's more recommended actually do well in brackish water, such as mollies and platies. In fact, I know mollies can be acclimated to saltwater, freshwater, or brackish water, as long as you do it gradually, and will be fine in all 3.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Ok, no more salt :) We won't add any more, and as we do water changes it should gradually get back to all freshwater.

Going to try the baffle first and see how that goes. If it doesn't work, any suggestions on a good, low flow hob filter for such a small tank? And yes or no on using the air stone?

Thanks all, for the compliments on the little guy, and the info. I have pond fish, but they are big, poopy goldfish, in 600 gallons or so...completely different world from bettas.

Jennie Beth
Aquaclear AC20, because you can adjust the flow easily, and it's got a customizable media basket, so you can filter the way you want.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Theres no need for the bubbler because bettas go up to the surface and take gulps of air. But you can keep it in there , it wont harm the cute little fella

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store