Balloon Rams

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

benzjamin13

AC Members
Jul 7, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I know some of you may not like the mutant fish, but I've always heard that Rams, particularly Blue Rams can be sensitive and difficult to keep. Are Balloon Rams in the same boat? I'd figured that since they are mutants, they are captive breed and should be less sensitive and easier to keep?

Sent from my LT30at using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
I have heard they are about the same from some people, and even more sensitive by others..being that they are most likely heavily inbred.

ZivaD

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
The processes involved in the deformation of the fish are such that it generally leads to a less hardy specimen

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
I would think that the balloon rams would be more sensitive. The balloon shape causes deformities of the spine and internally, which may affect the health of the fish.

Most rams are captive bred. Your best bet it to get some locally bred rams - ones that are acclimated to your local water. Plus they haven't had to endure shipping. Some LFS carry locally bred fish when available. They usually aren't marked as such on the tank. You would have to ask.

wren

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store