Cardinal Tetra Swimming and Acting Odd

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
He is a new cardinal tetra, one of six new ones, and in the bag he would go 'belly up', but then started swimming erratically again. Right now he is in the tank and not schooling with the other five, at first he stopped swimming and was just sucked against the filter, but I broke him free.

What could be the issue? He is staying at the top of the tank.

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
Well this main aquarium is empty of any other fish, so I just included them (minus the store tank water). He actually (I apologize if this thread is a waste, but at first it seemed to be a problem) is swimming with the others now. I think it's safe to conclude he was just 'super-stressed', poor guy!

I will keep an eye on him regardless. What do you guys think of one Corydoras Catfish by himself in a 20 gallon with a Sailfin Molly and a Platy? It's my girlfriends tank and she does not want multiples of fish, although I realize they need schools.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Cardinals are much more touchy than neons, so, it could have been super stressed, or it could just have been ill. If you have a way to positively identify it and isolate it, that would be a good idea.

A single cory? That's no different than a single cardinal in the tank. It will not be nearly as active and happy, long term, as it would be with 4 or 5 kin.

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
Ill meaning it has a sickness (disease, parasite, or whatever)? They are swimming around nicely now and attacking food I put in. They have been in the tank less than 4 hours now.

Would the single cory do fine though? I am aware of the fact that they require a group of at least about 6, but I don't make the decisions on the tank, just picked out the equipment and maintain it.

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
I understand, but we may end up just keeping him and seeing how it goes. He's already been named after all...

Symbol

AC Members
Aug 26, 2012
Okay, but the folks here have already told you that you are not providing the best environment for this fish and that it would be much more comfortable in a group. I mean, it's your/your girlfriend's tank... but you asked if this was a good for that particular fish, folks have told you that it'll basically survive but not thrive and that this is not a fish that's well-suited to being on its own. Seems like it'd be kinder to get (and name) something that is suited to being kept alone.

I saw a huge difference in the behaviour of my schooling fish (including cory cats) when I bumped the group sizes up from four to eight. They seem much less nervous and agitated now that there are more of them in the tank. And I'm glad I did get a few more. I don't want my fish being constantly stressed out because they just don't have enough species buddies to be comfortable. It's needless stress for the fish and an easy problem for me to fix.

I understand that your girlfriend doesn't want multiples in the tank, but in that case she shouldn't get schooling fish that need to be kept in multiples to thrive and feel comfortable. IMHO you should tell her to return the cory cat and get something else instead. (Either that or show her how beautiful schools of fish swimming together can be and convince her that she'd be better off getting several individuals of just one or two species for her tank.)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store