Clams with Centropyge doomed to failure?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I'd like to get a small clam, my problem being I've got a few things that aren't compatible, seems the tank inhabited by my dwarf angel would be the only one that might work. How likely is it for my half black to eat a clam? Now I could move him but he's the main attraction of the tank always out and swimming upto the glass to greet you. So far for the months I've had him he's left corals alone, he did pick on my feather duster which i moved to a different tank.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
It is not that he will "eat" the clam, but "nibble" it to death. Most angels are grazers, so they like to "nip" at things. The soft tissue may get nipped to the point that the clams just dies.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I wouldn't do it. Once he gets the taste of clam he may develop a taste for corals too (that still may happen one day regardless of whether you add the clam). FWIW, I've had a few clams and always end up getting tired of them. They look graet in the shallow clam tank at the LFS because you can view them from top down. However, they don't look nearly as good in a display tank from the side view.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I guess I'll pass for now till I have more suited tank stocking, local shops mostly have maxima's and larger so I was looking to get a crocea from LA/DD $160ish after shipping is to much to waste on angel snacks.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
I agree with geech--they're pretty boring. If you're keeping animals based on behavior and appearance, clams tend to disappoint since you can't see them well, and they don't do much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store