10 gallon stocking?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
Well I am upgrading my Betta Finn to a 10 gallon by the end of the month and I am seriously considering a few more tank mates for him ... I was just wondering if this stocking looks good to everyone ( I am prepared to divide the tank if he does not get along with someone)

- Finn ( of course)
-Jake ( Mystery snail already sharing the tank)
- another mystery snail
- 3 ADF
- 3 ghost shrimp ( They are the only shrimp available here)

I have a 50 watt heater and I keep the tank at 80 degrees ( about 26.7 c), A 10 gallon whisper filter ( with a covered intake) , Its moderately planted but I am planning even more plants, 2 hiding logs , and a piece of driftwood.

Finn is very peaceful, So far he has no problems with Jake at all

I also put everything on Aqadvisor ... So here is that for anyone interested
http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?...AqSpeciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=simple

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
That is so funny that your betta's name is Finn! I just got two male bettas as well from CL, upgraded them to two 10 gallons, and named them Sawyer and Finn! (Well originally it was Flynn, but I've been calling him Finn more and more now, so I officially changed it to Finn)

Anyhoo, the stocking sounds really good, you could probably add a couple more shrimpy's if you wanted. :) You can always order shrimp online too, they ship well (well the hardier ones at least like cherry's, I've gotten a couple just as hitchhikers when getting plants) if it's something that interests you (as long as I'm sure you know, there's a possibility of them becoming snackees). It sounds like it's gonna be a super nice set up! I'd love to see pictures! :D

Just one little bit of advice, I'm not sure how much experience you have with keeping bettas with ADF's, but one thing I learned from having my previous male in a 29 gallon with 3 ADF's, he quickly learned what the turkey bastor was for; and that frozen bloodworms every day was much much more tastier than his hikari pellets.. So much so that he'd ignore his food, and would swim down to the tip of the bastor for "his" food. It made it hard to feed the slow froggies. You might have to feed him first at one end, then feed the frogs on the far other end. (Also discovered the frogs can't see food right in front of their noses, but if it's an inch or so in front they get it.)

Your lucky your betta gets along with the frogs, I'd love to add some to my tanks, but I can just sense right off the bat that my boys aren't gonna tolerate tank mates other than shrimps and snails probably (they get all flared up and will chase little bits of wood and what not that they see)

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
Its funny the only thing my Finn has ever flared at was the thermometer ( I think the bright color upset him but he learned its not gonna try to fight him)

as it is I have set up a feeding routine for him and Jake I drop Jakes food in then immediately stick my fingers in the tank and let a few pellets go so he has learned.

Darn I keep forgetting to get turkey basters ...

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Sounds like a good feeding routine. :)

Not sure how stores are where you live, but if you have any dollar stores close then they carry turkey bastors for only a buck :0)

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
Thats what I was thinking of doing I just haven't gotten around to it lol.

I will post pictures when its done it will be at least a week probably longer. Because I still have to get the supplies to upgrade the current inhabitants of the 10 gallon

elliriyanna

AC Members
May 31, 2010
Ok I am iffy about the ADF ... what are some bottom feeders?

I plan on the Betta 2-3 mystery snails and maybe some shrimp.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Ok I am iffy about the ADF ... what are some bottom feeders?

I plan on the Betta 2-3 mystery snails and maybe some shrimp.
IMO, your best bottom feeders for a 10g are some type of shrimp. They pretty much pick out every spec of anything edible. The ghost shrimp in my 10g go nuts when I feed the betta. The small ones swim around the top even, to grab flakes of food. My black and gold mystery snails are fun to watch too.

Windy

AC Members
May 30, 2007
Theed Palace on Naboo
Real Name
Lazaro
Your Betta will eat the shrimp. 1 mystery snail is enough because they will affect the bio-load in the tank. If you want bottom feeders, I recommend pygmy cories. They get about 1 inch. With the 10 gallon tank, your limited on how many fish you can keep. The most you can keep in a 10 gallon is 7 fish.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Your Betta will eat the shrimp. 1 mystery snail is enough because they will affect the bio-load in the tank. If you want bottom feeders, I recommend pygmy cories. They get about 1 inch. With the 10 gallon tank, your limited on how many fish you can keep. The most you can keep in a 10 gallon is 7 fish.
YMMV, because not all bettas eat shrimp. What formula do you use to determine 7 fish can live in a 10 gallon tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store