cichlids seem to be doing well.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jkre2011

AC Members
Apr 10, 2013
i got an amonia test for the tank, and its showing up within acceptable range (colored only the square labeled "0"). they seem to have stopped flashing on the rocks- maybe the 25% water change was the key. i have gotten a new 55g tank, and plan on setting it up and cycling, then transferring all of the fish to it, and adding more to it when i do. my question would be how many can i fit in there? i currently have 3 plecos, i peppered cory, and 11 african cichlids. i am willing to remove the cory if i need to so i can fit more cichlids.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
What specific cichlids? And their gender...

jkre2011

AC Members
Apr 10, 2013
only know a couple of the breeds i have- 2 yellow labs and 2 blue acia(?), the rest are walmart breeds, lol. we stopped there first, to see what they had, bought a few, then went to petsmart to get a few more im reading everything i can find on cichlids, a little each day, and learning fast i hope. havent figured out how to sex them yet- i imagine that would require knowing the exact breeds. i will get there eventually- intend to breed a few in the long run.

fish-n-chips

AC Members
Oct 29, 2008
N.E. WI
Real Name
C.J.
Re-homing your 1 cory (which I would recommend since it would be happier with more of it's own kind) won't allow you to add any more cichlids IMO. The cory has a bio-load much smaller than any of the Africans you have. I would be more interested in knowing which species and what size of plecos you have. Depending on species, even 1 may be too large for your upgrade. If they are BN's that is 1 side of the fin(although more than I would recommend, still), if you have a larger species that is the other side of the fin( 1 P. gibbiceps. is too much fish for a 55).

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
This is a hobby where impulse buys can be very harmful, to both your wallet, and the lives you purchase. Not knowing what species you have makes it difficult to know how best to care for them, as well as next to impossible to know how many you can have.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
Re-home the cory for his peace of mind! He needs friends. And friendlier neighbors.

I'm not sure I would jump into adding more cichlids. You might have your hands full already.

wren

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store