New tank setup

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
Hi AC! It's been a few years, but I'm back. I'm starting a new 55gal planted tank and have decided to consider myself a total newb until I get back into the swing of things.

I'm looking at filters for the 55g and was considering 2 AquaClear 30s. I believe that would be enough filtration. I was thinking 1AC70, but I don't like having just the one filter.

I'm also looking at heaters. Looking through the LFS yesterday I realized I have no idea what brands are reliable anymore, so any help is appreciated.

I've talked my boyfriend into building me a canopy, and I'm probably going to install an arduino controlled LED lighting system in there. I'll also eventually get the arduino to display ph an temp, but lighting first.

Thoughts, comments, something I've forgotten to take under consideration?

ROYWS3

AC Members
Aug 29, 2000
North-Central PA
Real Name
Roy
free media for a year from Dr's Smith and Foster and they have free shipping on orders over $49. The AC 50's are only $5 more.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3579+3608+3610&pcatid=3610

Any of these would work, again with the idea that getting two smaller ones is better that only one larger
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/fish-supplies/aquarium-heater/ps/c/3578/3743

I don't know LED but I will say that you need to do your research as many LED fixtures are not bright enough to support plant growth

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
I was just thinking AC50s.. Hrm.. I'll check out S&F

I've seen some REALLY neat LED DIY's as of late, and I think I might try it out... I know that LED can have low output compared to t5s but I'm looking at something more like cree xr-e's over the radio shack special.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I concur with Roy, AC50's are generally only a few dollars more then the 30's worth it to beef it up a little bit. I'm running 2 50's on my 29g.

Agree about the heaters as well.

DIY is probably the best way to go for LED's especially if you want to use cree's most of the premades using quality cree's are for reef's and too much light for plants.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
If you go with an AC 70 (or the Fluval C4) and one AC 20 (or Fluval C2), you'd have yourself the larger filter which is capable of handling the tank by itself, and a second filter that you can swap to a quarantine tank when needed. Some consider the Fluval C series HOB filters to simply be an upgraded AC filter. I'm leaning that way, myself.

Although, the AC 20 and C2 both have the same problem in that neither is large enough to comfortably fit on the rim of a 55. I got one of each so that one could be on my shrimp tank, and the other could be an extra filter on y 55, but neither really fits well on the 55, so I've found that out the hard way. I don't know if the AC 30 or the mid sized Fluval is large enough to do so.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I have both a fluval C4 and a aquaclear70 on my 40B and havent ran into any problems with either of them. But if i were to pick one over the other it would be the C4. Only because to change/clean any media you dont need to shut off the filter because all the media has its own compartment.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I dunno. I'd rather go with a canister than two HOBs. Just to have a backup form of filtration in my 55g, I have an inexpensive Sunsun sponge powerhead in addition to my Sunsun HW-302 canister. It was ~$60 for the pair shipped to the door with media.

Joel

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store