Betta suicide?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
I put my HMPT into a 3 gallon which has a filter and heater about a few weeks agao, just did a water change on it yesterday. I had him for a little over a year. He had jumped out of the tank and I just found him, all dried up. He built 3 bubble nests in the tank, usally means they are happy. He ate this morning.. I don't know when he jumped.. but it upsets me that my favorite betta, Freddie, would commit suicide. :[ I don't know the reason why he'd jump out.... Freddie was always happy to see me and danced for food.

IMG_1007.JPG

Now I'm down to one betta.

IMG_1007.JPG

Kaosu

AC Members
Oct 22, 2010
Washington State
I doubt it was an intentional suicide (or that fish are capable of that) ....he could of jumped in fear..or jumped at something out side of the tank my bettas jump up out of the water for food in my fingers.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Fish can jump for any reason you might think of. The list is long and there may be reasons that aren't even on the list. It's one of the sad realities of having fish and why having tanks covered when unattended are suggested. I wouldn't call it deliberate suicide since as it stands now, fish don't reason things out. Building bubblenests are a sign of a healthy fish wanting to mate, not necessarily a happy one. Regardless, a death is a death and it sucks. Hope the rest live long lives!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Jumping from puddle to puddle is how bettas move around...that he was building bubble nests means he wanted to spawn, so most likely he was looking for a mate. Bettas should NEVER be kept in uncovered tanks.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Bettas should NEVER be kept in uncovered tanks.
Now, to communicate that to all the people that think 4 ounces of water in a glass with some marbles at the bottom are perfect betta homes.....

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
The tank is covered. There is a small hole for food to be dropped in and another hole for the filter to fit. I'm keeping the tank running right now and wondoring if I should put another betta into it when I can. I do water changes on the 3g twice a week since it's small. Thinking of putting a few snails into the tank to have something to look at. IT's just sitting emtry with 3 plants.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store