Female betta..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I couldn't resist a purdy little female betta at a recent stop-in at Petsmart for cat food. She's cruising along in my new 55g with 4 zebra danios, 2 platys and a molly. Anyone ever tried several female bettas in one tank?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
There have been a number of threads on betta sororities. I know it's been done, and I know they're not quite as aggressive as the males, but a search should return some results for you.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
When I use to breed Bettas, I use to keep lots of females together in one tank. They do not fight each other like males do. No testosterone!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Meow? BURP!

Yeah... not.

What an awesome little fish. My favorite in the 55 so far. Super funny to watch. I was a little concerned the water flow in the 55 or the nutsy danios would freak her out. No problems.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
I've done soriority's 3x now, the first with 5 in a 10 with silk plants, the 2nd in a 29 with 10 or so girls in a half real half fake plants (all added at once, horrible lifeless brown colored from walmart when they had em on discount to get rid of them when they decided to drop selling them, perked up right away and got pretty), and like 20 or so in a 55 gallon moderately planted. Also all added at once. I've never had any issues cept when I tried to add a girl who was a third the size the other girls when I added em all in, she got picked on. It's best to add em all at once, just watch the params. In your case, if you want to go the sorority route, get your other girls (all at once, just test daily to keep your water quality up) then remove your current girl. Re arrange the decor, you want lots of places for them to hide too and claim territory. Add all your other girls, then add your current female. Watch for bullying, but Ive never had it happen cept for the pint sized baby female I tried to add.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I may try 2-3 in my community 55g. I just love them.

I haven't totally decided on my final stocking. Just taking it slow to ensure the nitrogen cycle settles, and need to aquascape the tank more, etc.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Don't do 2-3. You need at least 5 so they can establish a pecking order. Other wise, you have a *high* chance of someone getting bullied.

By the way, I was looking at your current stocking (in your signature). I'm sure you plan to do this, and forgive me if you already know this. Before adding more species of fish, I'd up your danios to at least 6, get 2-3 more platy's (obviously keeping a ratio of all males, all females, or 2-3 females/male), a couple more mollies (I wouldn't do all male mollies though). It's not commonly mentioned as much as with tetras or cories, but live bearers like to be in decent sized groups as well :)

(Again, sorry if you already know this and planned to get more anyways :p)

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Good to know. I thought I've read that live bearers are non-schoolers?

The only nutzo fish in my 55 are the 4 zebra danios. I thought about adding one more to calm them down, but I'd like to keep the least amount of them as possible.

I wouldn't mind adding 4 more female bettas. Gotta get more decor in place first. Still haven't decided on a larger center piece fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store