BioWhEEL 150 Stops Spinning

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ohio_star

Registered Member
Apr 15, 2013
Hi, newbie here who's getting really frustrated with a new Penguin Biowheel 150 filter. We bought it last year to replace a 125 that we had for a decade before it gave up the ghost, and just loved, had no problems with it. However, we've had nothing but problems with the 150. The wheel will spin fairly well for a week or two, then slow down and/or stop (although water still goes through). We replace the cartridge at least monthly, and it doesn't matter if we use one or 2 cartridges. Sometimes just rinsing the filter cartridge will get it going again. Sometimes not. Sometimes replacing the cartridge completely gets is going. Sometimes not. We take it fully apart, clean eveything (including impeller), reassemble. Sometimes works. Sometimes not. Here's the odd thing - we've taken the entire filter, unspinning wheel and all, to 2 different pet stores (at different times) and when they put it in a tank to check out - worked like a charm, both times. They had no ideas as to what could be going wrong, and only suggested some different cleaning techniques - which we tried, but didn't help. The dang wheel just quit again after only 10 days fully cleaned and with a brand new cartridge, and we're about ready to toss the whole thing. Any guesses as to what could be going wrong, and how we could fix it? Or a suggestion for another filter that isn't this finicky?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Inferior filter design, in my opinion. Mineral deposits can cause the biowheel to seize. I didn't have problems with mine, but I won't go back to it. Aquaclear or Fluval HOBs are far superior, due to silence, effectiveness, and flexibility.

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
i'm assuming that the impeller is working, although sometimes your description sounds like you have a flow problem. (in which case, be sure that there isn't any crud between the impeller and the stainless steel shaft -- i have problems with getting algae or plant fibers up in there where i can't see.)

in any case, i'm not a real fan of the biowheel; like you, i had one that worked like a dream and another that practically never spun. try pulling out the biowheel, make sure there's no crud / scale on either the wheel or the shaft stubs or the mounting surface, dry the ends of the wheel off thoroughly, and put a TINY bit of vaseline on it. this may help keep crud out of the biowheel bearing area

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Are the sockets that the wheel axle stubs go into clean?

I've only had my 100 model for ~3months or so filtering my 10gal, but I've had no issues what so ever. The filter pads get pretty dirty too because of the FloraMax substrate in this little planted tank. I rinse them a cpl times between 4-5week changes. The bio wheel always looks fairly clean.

RodInCALIFORNIA

EBAY ADDICT !
Aug 5, 2008
CALIFORNIA
Real Name
ROD
bio wheels are prone to this issue. i run my emperor 400 filters with out the bio wheels.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store