Specific Gravity in a new Tank

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AGreyCrane

Registered Member
Apr 13, 2013
I have just set up my first tank a couple days ago. It is currently cycling, so I took some water over to the LFS to have it checked out (and for an excuse to go to the LFS). The LFS added some of my water to a cylindrical device and looked through it. He was concerned as the device was telling him my specific gravity was around 1.028-1.03.

I have been testing at home with an Instant Ocean Hydrometer, and it is saying around 1.023. I am inclined to believe the LFS reading however, as it is more in line with the amount of salt I put in. Since the reading on my Hydrometer was low I kept adding more salt till I got around 1.024. At this point I probably have 12 pounds of salt into a 30 gallon tank.

Has anyone seen an Instant Ocean Hydrometer be off this much in this direction before? From what I read air bubbles can make it read to high, but I'm seeing it read significantly low. I realize I can just do a water change to bring the levels back down, but I'm wanting to make sure that when I do I will be able to reliably gauge the specific gravity in the future.

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks!
AGreyCrane

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Yep, all the time. Sounds like your LFS is using a refractometer which is a more reliable (assuming it is calibrated) instrument than a hydrometer. They should be able to tell you if its 1.028 or 1.030 as the scales are pretty clear on a refractometer. If your LFS refractometer is accurate, you can still use your hydrometer. All you need to do is mark the desired SG for your tank on your hydrometer at the point on which it matches the correct SG determined by the refractometer. Sounds like 1.025 (recommended level for reef tanks) on your hydometer may be around 1.021.

Next time you go to your LFS, take your hydrometer with you. Either bring a sample of your water with you or have them test one of their tanks using both instruments. There you go, I just gave you another reason to go to your LFS :).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store