Treating fish diseases with Garlic?...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
Is it true that you can treat/"cure" most fish diseases (like parasites) with Garlic? If so how much would you put in?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I think that's a misinterpretation. Most of what I've seen (lots of different places, so I can't even begin to try to cite for you) doesn't refer to garlic as a cure, rather as a preventative, as in humans, that boosts the immune system. That means it should be in their food regularly. NLS foods have it, and I haven't (knock on wood) had anything that could be traced back to parasites, and the of the fish deaths I have had in my tank, none have been in close proximity, chronologically speaking, to each other, so I doubt it was illness. Most of those deaths (only 1 had any indicators) were sudden, and 2 were jumpers, for a total of 9 deaths in about 2 years.

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
Okay, so it should be mixed in with feedings. Should it be done regularly like every time the fish is feed or just occasionally here and there?

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
Levamisole HCl Powder would help with internal parasites or you can try Fenbendazole based de-wormer as an alternative (plus its cheaper then Levamisole HCl)

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Levamisole HCl Powder would help with internal parasites or you can try Fenbendazole based de-wormer as an alternative (plus its cheaper then Levamisole HCl)
The topic isn't treating an infestation, but about the role garlic plays.

I just give my fish NLS food, and that has garlic in it, and then I don't have to think much about garlic.

fishcrazy2

AC Members
Mar 24, 2013
Maryland
I was just wondering. My fish don't have any diseases. They have food with garlic already in it. I didn't know that.

Thanks for the tip lozt as well for the future use (knock on wood lol)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store