Food advice

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hellomuffin

Registered Member
Apr 17, 2013
I want my fish to be as healthy as possible, so I would like some advise on great foods to feed them. All the fish are currently juvenile. I currently feed them sanfransico bay brand freeze dried blood worms early in the morning, around two I give them a small bit of wardley tropical fish flake food, and at night I feed them topfin small sized cichlid pellets. Any advice on better food?

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I've always been a big fan of feeding my animals a variety of foods but their are also some very good staple brands out there as well. What type of cichlids do you have?

Brian Anderson

AC Members
Nov 17, 2006
Ohio
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Brian Anderson
See I remember reading wardley was good flake. That's why that's what I'm feeding haha. Anyone else have input?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ZivaD

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
See I remember reading wardley was good flake. That's why that's what I'm feeding haha. Anyone else have input?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

My take on that is that Wardley is the brand you are most likely to find on the grocery store shelf - similar to 'ol Roy being the most easily found dog food in a grocery setting. Both are full of fillers and not based on quality ingredients (hence the low price and ready availability that makes them a popular choice for non-pet store retailers). For me, Wardley would be at the bottom of the list. Is cost a concern for you? There are variable brands available at different price points that maybe we could recommend if we knew what fish you are feeding, etc.

Mamajin

Psychotic Female
I want my fish to be as healthy as possible, so I would like some advise on great foods to feed them. All the fish are currently juvenile. I currently feed them sanfransico bay brand freeze dried blood worms early in the morning, around two I give them a small bit of wardley tropical fish flake food, and at night I feed them topfin small sized cichlid pellets. Any advice on better food?

What I recently learned is how important it is to actually read the labels on fish food and understand what you're looking at. It's also important to understand exactly what your fish require nutritionally. I was using Omega One brand, but took it up a notch to New Life Spectrum foods.

There's an amazing nutrition article here that you can check out. Be sure to check the blue links up on the top right of the article for more information.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I feed Omega One flakes, NLS pellets, and some brand of frozen bloodworms. I can't remember the name off the top of my head, but I know it's not Hikari. Judging by my experiences with Top Fin hardware, I'll assume their food is equally cheaply made. I'm contemplating hitting up Kens Fish for some foods, just to give them a try.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I think most people would agree that NLS (new life spectrum) is a great food. But it is pricey and there are others that are good as well. I buy a lot of flake and pellet from Ken's Fish. They are high quality and my fish love them and are very healthy! The good thing about Ken's is you can buy bulk....freeze the protion you will not use right now and it keeps very well. I also never feed blood worms. I do feed freeze dried BLACK worms. These are a HIGHLY nutritious worm that offer a great dietary staple for most all fish. I buy them from Aquatic suppliers. You will get awesome growth and wonderful colors!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I think most people would agree that NLS (new life spectrum) is a great food. But it is pricey and there are others that are good as well. I buy a lot of flake and pellet from Ken's Fish. They are high quality and my fish love them and are very healthy! The good thing about Ken's is you can buy bulk....freeze the protion you will not use right now and it keeps very well. I also never feed blood worms. I do feed freeze dried BLACK worms. These are a HIGHLY nutritious worm that offer a great dietary staple for most all fish. I buy them from Aquatic suppliers. You will get awesome growth and wonderful colors!
Yeah, NLS is kinda pricy on a per ounce basis, but it's high quality, so you also end up using less, so it seems to be a wash. My little jar (second smallest size they had at Petco) has lasted close to a year so far, and I probably have close to 2/3 of it left.

That bulk purchase is option is part of the reason I've been looking at Ken's.

Mamajin

Psychotic Female
I think most people would agree that NLS (new life spectrum) is a great food. But it is pricey
I paid $15.93 USD from Amazon (with Prime, 2 day free shipping and no tax) for this huge 3.2 OZ jar. Even on my limited budget this is not expensive. Since there's very little filler junk in it, you don't have to feed as much (I feed half the amount of what I use to with Omega One). I figure this jar will last me for quite some time!

100_1719.JPG

100_1719.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store