Electric yellow

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hellomuffin

Registered Member
Apr 17, 2013
I was wandering what your feedback is on my tank idea of keeping 3-4 electric yellows temporarily in a 10 gallon, with a sand bottom, plenty of filtration, and a ton of cover and hiding places. Again this is temporary, and the juvenile fish are no more than an inch. I would also like to know if in this tank should I have one or two small pile so, or 4 Cory cats as a clean up crew? Thank you, and please give me advice. :)

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Cories are not clean-up and would not do well with Mbuna. The only suitable tankmates for Mbuna cichlids are other Mbuna. The electric yellow is not a social fish as is keeping with the Mbuna profile. Meaning that it isn't an absolute, but not likely workable for other tankmates. Staying with other Africans of the Mbuna species is your best hope. They are very territorial and often like multiple shelters. Having other Mbuna is no guarantee of compatibility.

You mention something about "piles" but leave it hanging so what you mean is not clear. Having kept the Electric yellow cichlid for many years still leaves me scratching my head trying to find suitable tankmates for them at times. suggested compatible fish: Auratus, Cobalt Blue Zebra, Electric Blue Ahli, Electric Blue Johanni, Featherfin Squeaker, Upsidedown Catfish, Zebra Cichlid,
Based experience, I would personally not consider the Auratus as they are also known to be temperamental as well.

Last edited:

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
With the reference to clean up crew, it seems that "piles" is possibly an auto-corrected "plecos." Plecos aren't really clean up crew, either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store