Betta Tail Biting, Possible Fin Rot?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
Here's some background- I've had Sawyer, my veiltail male betta, for about ~2.5 weeks now. His previous owner kept him in a divided 1/4 gallon container (in a cold basement, used no water dechlor either, fed him 2 tetra pellets every other day) with another male betta. I moved him to a heated (78F) filtered 5.5 gallon (decor was bare with 2 ceramic flower pots, no substrate, and 3 soft plastic plants (they were out of silk). 2nd day I believe it was I had him, I replaced the flower pots with water logged driftwood from a pet store, and the plastic plants (I found a pin hole tear in his fin) with a couple silk plants.

He got ich (nothing severe at all, at most 10 spots were on him at any time), and was treated with heat (raised to ~87F) and aquarium salt (1tbsp/2 gallons). I moved him from the 5.5 gallons to a 10 gallon. When the spots were gone, I carried out treatment for another week. Then lowered the temp down to 85 the last day of treatment, and right now it's at ~83F. All the salt has been removed from WC's.

Oh, and I also added a small anubias plant when I moved him to the 10 gallon, and two days ago added an amazon sword plant. Along with added ~30lbs of eco complete around 5 days ago.

Since I've had him, I've given him freeze dried blood worms, and frozen blood worms. The first night I gave him frozen blood worms, he got really "frisky." Darting around, trying to get them all. Last night, I noticed he was biting his tail after I fed him the frozen blood worms. He was swimming in a circle, with his tail in his mouth. I didn't see any damage.

This morning, I woke up to find his beautiful tail fin "shredded" in the middle. Like this http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/6994/edit5l.jpg how it is shredded on the bottom fin. Except, it's only in the middle of his tail fin, and goes 1/2 way in. (I'm at the library now, but I'll try to post pictures later, I have plenty of before pictures so you can see the difference).

His tail was perfectly fine last night (I got home at midnight, woke up at 9:30am, so 9 and a half hours later). So it happened over night, and very quick.

I have no idea what the water params are (still waiting for my test kit), but he is showing no other signs of any illness/stress. I know my tank is still cycling, I'm at Day 18 in my cycle, doing around 30-50% WC every other day (with a few 100% when he moved tanks and I put eco in.)

More info:

~~30lbs eco complete
~I don't use any lighting right now, just sunlight and the room light.
~No background either
~There is a ~2" diameter, ~2" deep round hole in the driftwood (it's a complete circle, it had the anubias stuffed with that brown wool like plant stuff in it, I took it out) that he will go in and barely fit and spin around in circles.
~His tank is situated in our one room (we have a studio apt), in the corner (we have no tv either, and he's away from the ac unit), so there's plenty of activity (he's learned to recognize me as the food bringer, and doesn't get startled when the cats jump on the stand (or when I practically put my face up against the glass to stare at him or take pictures-no flash used)
~Currently there is 3 pieces of driftwood (2 form a cave he can swim under), 2 plants in the corner (1 fake, 1 sword), and the anubias on the other side.
~No other tank mates

Does this sound like fin rot or damage caused by tail biting? How should I go about treating his tail? Any idea why frozen blood worms would cause him to bite his tail, or is it just a coincidence?

Thank you!

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Dani....I think the worms are coincidental. Several things....ammonia build up will cause fin damage. Since you don't have your test kit yet, you are not sure of your parameters. Personally I just do lots of water changes for fin damage,or rot. I have found it works as good as anything else. I would recommend taking some water to a LFS and have it tested. If your ammonia is high..I would do small, like 25% water changes twice a day. If your ammonia is ok...I would do larger like 40-50% water changes once a day until his tail gets better.

I would also reccommend feeding something beside bloodworms. They are not really a good longterm food source for your fish. They are lacking in overall nutrition.
They are ok for a treat but not as a dietary staple. Try a good flake or pellet. There are lots of threads on the topic of nutrition. Just use the search function on this forum!

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Would ammonia damage cause his fin to waste away so severely overnight? I was feeding him the tetra betta pellets he came with, with bloodworms as a bi weekly treat. :) I got some hikari bio gold pellets as well, and plan to switch to omego one or that other brand that has three words that's highly recommended that I can't think of right now.. Ah I remember, New Life Spectrum

Should I add any aquarium salt back to his water, or just do daily 50% WC til it's better? (I have no problem with doing more, like 2 50% water changes a day if need be. I use a piece of aquarium tubing to drain it, then pour it back in reaallly slowly, being sure to keep it away from him) I forgot to mention this but two nights ago I did a 70% or so WC. :)

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
In my experience yes, ammonia could do it. Salt never hurts in this situation...but your plants probably wont like it. If possible I recommend getting your water tested. That way you have an idea of whether or not that is what you are dealing with. Once a day changes should be sufficient, if there is not a lot of ammonia, If ammonia is the problem, I would do twice a day...it will just keep the build up to a minimum better. You use a water dechlorinator?

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Bettas are at times difficult to acclimate, even moving them from a bad situation (such as a cup) to more stable water parameters can be hard on them at first. Finrot and ich are not unusual, and provided they are robust and healthy, they should be able to recover from it. I would keep the lights off and keep him comfortable, high temps should in theory be enough to eradicate ich, but in some stubborn cases something like Quick Cure could become necessary (it will stain silicone seals blue, but is fast and effective...do not add to tanks with snails or shrimp though).

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
I got my test kit!!!! Never been more excited in my life! Anyhoo Ammonia- a little under .25ppm Nitrite- .20ppm (light blueish with a tinge of purple) Still testing the other params and will post when done :D He is completely cure of ich though, last spots I saw were over a week ago :) ......Still shaking...... and shake some more..... Finally Nitrate- 5ppm Oh and yep I use dechlor, currently I use Tetra Aquasafe. I am gonna get some Prime though and switch to that.

Last edited:

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
If you have any nitrite you are in a cycle. You definitely want to do some nice water changes. If you have the time I would do twice a day. If you don't then once a day.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Yep I can do twice a day no problem, what percent would you recommend? :) Would there be any harm in doing a larger amount twice a day, say 40%? I just want to keep the water clean as possible. pH is 7.8 (la tap water has a really high pH)

Last edited:

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Oh and yep I use dechlor, currently I use Tetra Aquasafe. I am gonna get some Prime though and switch to that.
Be aware that if you use Prime, your tests will always show at least .25 ammonia, even if there isn't any. It creates a false positive, for some reason.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store