Buying a new tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Codyisin

AC Members
Apr 14, 2013
So im 21 and just purchased my first house. I have wanted a saltwater tank forever!!! I have had fish since i was about 5 started wanting a saltwater at about 10. i know they are much more difficult to take care of then freshwater and i didnt want to be moving one around. But now that i have a house im ready for it. On craigslist i found a really great deal on a 180 gallon with a stand pumps lights sand salt mix tons of stuff for just 300$ but the tank has one of the two support braces broke right in the center and a 4 inch piece is missing... i figure a piece of plexiglass rivited in place will solve that but i really would like to just replace the frame to be on the safe side? Any idea where to get one? its a 180gallon all glass aquarium all i have local is petco and petsmart neither one are willing to do custom order. I have the part number and everything aqueon was more then happy to provide me with the part number but they would not sell it to me. part number i need is 91154 unfortunatly thats the the oak trimed piece which i was told is no longer made so i will have to go with part number 91048 its the standard black color surround.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I'd feel much safer with a frame replacement as well on a tank that size. Perhaps Aqueon could provide info on nearest authorized dealers who would be able to order it for you or ship one to you. glasscages.com sells frames but their website only lists upto 90g size might be worth a shot to contact them too.

dani_starr

AC Members
Aug 6, 2011
California
Real Name
Dani :)
It'd be kinda of a waste of money, but you could always buy that set up, then get a new tank? Just given that $300 for a stand, light, salt mixes, etc. seems like a good deal imo.

I have to say though, it's off topic, but WOW. 21 and already have a house! I'm almost 21, and living in a studio apartment! Lol. Congrats to you! :D

Codyisin

AC Members
Apr 14, 2013
Aqueon gave me the local distributors number and they gave me one localish stores number but they are not getting back to me on them doing custom order's or not. I found a pet store some 300miles away that can get it in 6 weeks for just 40$ but they will NOT ship the part not wating to drive that far.... ill have the tank in about 2 hours ill post pics of the break when i recieve it.

fsn77

AC Moderators
Staff member
Feb 22, 2006
SC
I'd suggest replacing that top frame if at all possible. If you cannot get someone locally to order it for you, don't hesitate to try some of the larger online retailers. I've called and had a couple of them special order parts for me that aren't listed on their websites. If they sell Aqueon products of any kind, you may just get lucky and find that they can order that frame for you.

If you're not able to get a replacement, it sounds like you got a lot for your $300 even if you don't count the tank. A decent stand and reef appropriate lighting alone for a tank that size are each easily over $300, so you've done well there as it is.

Codyisin

AC Members
Apr 14, 2013
Below is the photo's off craigslist you can see the missing piece of the brace, the stand and the lights. I know nothing about saltwater. The stand is pumb full of pumps and stuff for the fish tank.

IMG959880.jpgResizedImage951366309339309.jpgResizedImage951366309442468.jpg

IMG959880.jpg ResizedImage951366309339309.jpg ResizedImage951366309442468.jpg

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
It would cost more money, but aside from possibly being more readily available, removing all of the existing braces (not the frame) and adding your own braces made of 3/8" or 1/2" glass will eliminate the shadows the braces create.

Codyisin

AC Members
Apr 14, 2013
I have read about bracing it that way but i worry the only thing really keeping the tank for bowing is the silicone i cant imagine thats really going to hold it that well?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
I have read about bracing it that way but i worry the only thing really keeping the tank for bowing is the silicone i cant imagine thats really going to hold it that well?
Do I really need to point out that silicone is practically the only thing holding the whole tank together? The trick is to use glass thick enough to have good surface area for the bond. Oceanic, once the maker of the best off the shelf glass aquaria made their tanks that way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store