Should I get a pair or a single angelfish

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
So, my daughters have been pestering and pestering and pestering (they're 8 and 6, so I'm sure some of you will understand just what I mean) me to get angelfish. On their typical Friday visit (they like to go when I pick them up after school) to the LFS, I spotted (blushing? I don't know if there is such a thing, but the gill area looked red like other kinds of blushing angels I've seen) koi angelfish in one of their tanks, including some tri-color, which is what I've told my wife is the only way I'll actively consider getting them for my tank.

So, how aggressive are spawning angels? I have a 55 gallon tank with (and I swear I keep hitting the option to display it in my settings, but it doesn't seem to show my tanks anymore) espei rasboras x 12, cardinal tetra x 16, neon tetra x 2, glowlight tetra x 5, orange von rio tetra x 5, rummynose tetra x 4, adult male BN, nerites, MTS, pond snail(s), and RCS (in decreasing numbers as I move them to a shrimp tank). I also plan on a pair of rams in the next 2 or 3 months. The angels at the LFS are tiny, maybe as much as quarter sized excluding fins. Are spawning angels aggressive enough that the other fish are actually in danger of being killed if they don't leave the vicinity of the eggs? Even after they leave the vicinity of the eggs? I want small angels to be able to grow in the community, so they don't think the other fish are food. For those that are concerned about overstocking, if it comes down to it, I'm happy to rehome the glowlights and orange von rios. The wife wanted them, but she's much happier with the cardinals.

I am planning on picking up the angel(s) and a dozen rummy nose this weekend, after cleaning and setting back up the QT.

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
If you buy two angels, there is no way to guarantee you will have a pair. They may both grow up to be male, or female. Even if you get one of each, there is no guarantee they will like each other. So, it would be much better to just get one. You will either have aggression from breeding angels or from fighting angels.

Also, you have some pretty small fish in your tank. Even if the Angel fish starts off small with them, there is no guarantee the angel fish will not see them as food when it gets bigger. You will have a better chance than if you put a large angel in the tank, but not a 100% chance.

Emily

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I'm aware it's not a guarantee, just a greater likelihood than putting an adult in with what appears to be food. As my LFS says, these are live animals, and the behavior isn't always predictable. Worst case scenario, I'll lose 2 or 3 of the fish before realizing it, since I do counts 4 or 5 times a week. So, definitely a vote for a single. Would I have to feed it differently, or would high quality tropical pellets and flake do well for angels as well?

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I would go with just a single to be honest. For the reasons already stated. I have had spawning angels kill other fish in a tank. The thing is though you usually have plenty of warning before it gets that bad, especailly if it is their first spawn. They hang together all the time, you start noticing them cleaning the spawning site, you notice them chasing the other fish away, but not real seriously. This will go on for a few days if not longer before they actually spawn usually.

I would definitely do head counts a few times a week! LOL It could go either way. I do think you would enjoy an angel though. It's worth a shot!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
If I have to get an angel, it's going to be a tri-color koi, and, heeding the provided advice, just the one, so trying to have my LFS sex it is going to just be a curiosity thing, in case I decide to set up a tank for a pair and have them breed. I'd imagine benthic fish would be pretty safe, since they're probably going to be away from the spawn sites. It appears angels typically spawn in the upper levels of the tank. I'll worry more about it if I decide to find an angel to pair with the one I'll get today or tomorrow.

How about food? Would I have to feed it differently, or would high quality tropical pellets and flake do well for angels as well? I feed NLS Small Fish Formula mostly, with some Omega One Super Color Flakes, every few feedings.

esoepr1976

AC Members
Oct 27, 2012
Iowa
Real Name
Emily
If the angel fish is tiny, you probably won't be able to sex it. Really, the only sure way to sex angels is to watch them breed. If they are larger, you might be able to get an idea of whether or not one is a male or female, but it's not 100% sure. If one is laying eggs, then it's a female, if one is fertilizing the eggs it's a male. But, when they are very small, there is no real way to tell. And sometimes two females will mate, and the eggs will be unfertilized.

As for food, a good quality flake and/or pellet diet is just fine. If they are really small, they may need to eat at least twice a day while they are growing fast. I got my angel when she was about nickel size I think, and fed her a few times a day until she got to be quarter sized at least. I have ADF's so she got frozen blood worms and/or blind shrimp several times a week. (I alternate between that and frog pellets for my frogs). When they are very tiny I think the frozen food can help. Now, she is fifty cent piece sized and just gets fed on my regular feeding schedule.

Emily

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Good to hear. I guess there really isn't much functional difference between cichlid food, tropical food, and betta food, other than size/shape issues, as long as you're using consistently high quality feed.

I don't mind feeding multiple times daily. In fact, I'd love to feed multiple times daily all the time. Alas, I know that's a recipe (no pun intended) for disaster. I typically feed 5 or 6 times a week, once per day. I'll end up increasing the frequency of bloodworm feedings though, because of the angel, at least until it gets larger.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
My new angel hangs out by the heater in the QT, and doesn't eat until a minute or two after the food hits the bottom of the tank. Is this normal? I worry, because my rummynose in that same QT have no reservations about eating; they're more freaked out by me standing by the tank.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
depends, how long have you had it..what size is it?

btw, juvenile angels should be fed several times per day with lots of water changes.(daily) if you want to achieve optimum growth.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
I would definitely watch close as angels...especially baby angels....are pigs! As Ed asked...how big is it and how long have you had it?
I would also reccomend at least 3 times a day feeds until it gets at least quarter size then you can back off a little.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store