Molly with what appears to be lumps behind eyes

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
Hi,

In one of our tanks we have a beautiful Sailfin Molly that is a voracious eater; he constantly nibbles everywhere for algae and doesn't miss a beat when someone gets close to the tank to 'feed' him. First, is it quite normal for a fish to be CONSTANTLY on the move and active? Second, in the picture you can hopefully see the scales just behind his eyes (it's the darker orange area) and that area appears 'lumpy'. That's the best way I can describe it. I know the scales create an uneven texture on the body, but this area is extra uneven.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

Link to image: http://oi34.tinypic.com/m968b6.jpg

m968b6.jpg

m968b6.jpg

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
No one has any idea why there appears to be 'textured' scales/spots behind his eyes?

Thanks.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
NFI, dude. Is he still behaving normally? It could just be something in his lineage.

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
He's been behaving just as the day we brought him home. He swims a lot, pokes around or algae, and always comes up to the top when you get near the tank because he's hungry.

What is a 'lineage', is there some relatively safe medication that is like a 'cure all' I could try? The other residents are perfectly normal and look great, so I don't think it's contagious.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Lineage is like the family tree. Maybe its just a gene thats passed down each generation

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
Oh, I understand. When we got him he never looked odd, just after a couple of months. It's a cycled tank with a few plants. I do about 25-50% every week to two weeks, depending on how lazy I am, but I never go more than 2 weeks without a water change and it's no less than 25%.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Genetics are a funny thing. It could be something that just appears around a certain age. It could be illness, but doesn't sound like anything I've heard of. Probably should try to get more regular with the water changes, because if you're doing 50% every two weeks, there are bigger swings than if you're doing 25% weekly. That's more stressful for your fish. Don't think it would present the way you're describing, but it's still additional stress.

vreugy

AC Members
Apr 26, 2013
Oklahoma
WC at least every week and at least 25% ,,,,,35% is better. Fish looks like a very healthy normal male to me.

tdiggs

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
Well I will be more regular with the water changes and keep an eye on him. He does have some scale on the left side of his head trying to fall off, you can probably see it in the video. Any idea there?

Sent from my Nexus One using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store