My Neon Tetras Are Sick

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Odinsfury

Registered Member
Apr 20, 2013
It starts with a white discoloration very close to the tail fin, but still on the body. It does not look like any of the many pictures of NTD that I have looked at already which begin with a discoloration near the dorsal fin. The color does not appear to look like a growth, it looks like the red is just changing into white. They can live for weeks while they slowly become more white. They eat and shoal normally until their bodies become deformed and they eventually die. I have tried full treatments of Maracyn 1, 2, and kanaplex. I have tried to take some pictures but they're just too fast. I may try for a video.

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
How how gallons is your tank and how many fishes do you have in there?
Do you have a water testing kit?

Odinsfury

Registered Member
Apr 20, 2013
How how gallons is your tank and how many fishes do you have in there?
Do you have a water testing kit?
It's an established 20 gallon high with 0 ammonia and nitrites. There are 15 neons and 7 silver hatchets. I do 50% water changes weekly. Yes, I have a test kit.

Odinsfury

Registered Member
Apr 20, 2013
I don't know if you can make out the white spaces on the fish in this video, but it was the best I could get.

[video=youtube_share;TTiz7Nwdb_g]http://youtu.be/TTiz7Nwdb_g[/video]

lozt

AC Members
Jun 30, 2012
I thought maybe your tank was overstocked, but it doesn't really look like it in the video.
I noticed you don't have any real plants, but I didn't see any air bubbles in the video either.

At night time when it's totally dark, my tetras loses it's color and usually takes about 15 mins for their color to come back when the light is turned on.
However, you did note that their body were becoming deformed and eventually died. Where their belly bloated? Maybe it's parasites?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store