Danio uncontrolled growth ?! Morbidly obese Danio !!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OBlitzO

AC Members
Sep 12, 2012
Up-state New York
This Danio has always been slightly rounder than other Danios I have kept but I just thought it was a female Danio and it had a lot of row; even though i called him Henry the 8th. I didn't go through 8 of them ... but I reference the King of England once upon a time.

[video=youtube;QUcaW6hwhnA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUcaW6hwhnA[/video]

I want to help him so any info would be appreciated thanks !

Jannika

MTS Survivor
Mar 17, 2010
N. California
If the fish has slowly expanded, it could be dropsy, a retention of fluid in the abdominal cavity and organs. Not contagious per se, but it usually doesn't end well. Is often caused by water quality, but not always. A 6.5 gallon is awfully small for hyperactive danios, and things can go south quickly. Check your water parameters and keep an eye out for a larger tank. Good luck.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Try feeding blanched shelled peas. If it's something as simple as constipation, that could be all it takes to release the pressure. If it's something else, well, at least you've ruled out constipation.

OBlitzO

AC Members
Sep 12, 2012
Up-state New York
Crap I just checked my water quality Nitrates nitrites are fine, ph is good, the only thing that needs possible correction at is water hardness. Also even though it is 6.6 gallon (more like 8 g.) its 24 inches long, longer than standard 10 gallon tanks so idk.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
The size of the tank has nothing to do with water hardness, and that's also a parameter that can usually be safely ignored. It's unlikely to have any impact on your danio's condition.

Mamajin

Psychotic Female
Going to agree with authmal. It could be as simple as Bloat (constipation). Boiled peas, pop them and feed the mushy inside part. If the fish is too picky, feed him brine shrimp. Both peas and brine shrimp will make them go potty.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store