Think I want a Cichlid tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cricket55

AC Members
Feb 6, 2012
VA
I just got a 50 gallon tank yesterday. Tank, filter, stand, whole setup absolutely free. Was awesome they thought of me and did that for me. With that my brain started goin crazy with ideas. I think I want it to be a cichlid tank. My problem is I don't know where to go from there. I don't know what types of cichlids I may like, or how I should set the tank up for them. I'm thinking about getting a canister filter for the tank, and I know I need more decor in the tank for hiding spots, but I don't know if I will need powerheads in the tank, or what types of cichlids I may want to get. If someone could explain the major differences of them and such and give me some personal info that what I'm finding from google searches would be great.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I'd say start with google, PetSmart, PetCo, LFS and various websites that sell cichlids. Liveaquaria.com has a whole slew, so you can see what's available. Do some research, and then you can start narrowing down to what kind you're most fond of, then more research to find out how to best go about things. I have a cichlid (tricolor koi angelfish) and plan on two more in approximately one month (electric blue rams, probably).

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
^+1 i agree. Do some research on cichlids to determine what kind of cichlids you want. There is literally thousands of them out there. The only thing that upsets me about cichlids is the agression. Im not saying all are agressive but many are. So thats one thing to look out for when buying potential tank mates. Also, not every cichlud is the same. I had a 6inch oscar who was very passive and would get beat up by my 3inch jack dempsey. but im sure others have had totally different expiriences then ive had. Good luck on your tank and fish selection though! Id love to see some pictures once you get everything put together :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ptrick125

Learning a lot everyday
Feb 2, 2012
Georgetown(Near Austin) ,Texas
www.patrick.international
Real Name
Patrick
When I need to research a fish, I like to go to YouTube and search it up there. Many times people will give information about the equipment they are running on the tank.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cricket55

AC Members
Feb 6, 2012
VA
Thanks guys. I know I want some bright colorful guys. The tank is in my living room, and is a hugs focal point. So some guys with colors and personality would be awesome. I need to do a lot more decorating. I was on liveaquaria looking, but a lot of times I get conflicting answers from them, and then other people. Have any of y'all used them before? Most of my petstores and LFS don't have a lot of cichlids.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I only referenced liveaquaria.com as a place to look at a lot of the cichlid options. I haven't bought from them, and definitely do research on other sites in addition to that one. Just look at the pretty pictures. :drool:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
you may also want to test your water.
Specifically, to determine the 'hardness' this can often ease your transition into cichlids.
if you have hard water you may look at rift lake cichlid.
if it's softer water you can then look to the species that thrive in water close you what you have.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store