Dwarf honey gourami

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I picked a lone one up today from a LFS. He/she was in with some gold gouarmis and a single small female black molly. The molly came home with us too!

What a cute little gourami! He's happily cruising along with the few others in the 55g. The female betta leaves him alone. The only fish I've seen the female betta go after is the black molly. She likes to pick around the rocks the betta has claimed for her own apparently (even tho the tiny betta is all over the tank anyway).

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Yeah, I read up on that. Some say they've had absolutely no problems, some say they do.

Vincenia

AC Members
Dec 11, 2011
Blairstown, New Jersey
darkredtigr.deviantart.com
Real Name
Kayla
Camera Used
IPhone 12 Pro Max
My step mom put a dwarf gourami with her betta, the betta was killed. I had 2 female bettas with a gold gourami no issues, when I got my Pearl Gourami, the bettas died. But I personally wouldn't keep the betta with the gourami, since they are related somewhat.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
PS--Probably a he. There are not many female dwarf gouramis (of any color) for sale anywhere.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Yeah, I read up on that. Some say they've had absolutely no problems, some say they do.
It's a YMMV kind of situation. Keep an eye out, have a home for the female betta (probably easiest to move) ready, and make the switch at the first sign of aggression.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Honey gouramis are pretty passive compared to dwarf gouramis in my experience. Definitely something to keep an eye on, but I'd give it a go myself.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
PS--Probably a he. There are not many female dwarf gouramis (of any color) for sale anywhere.
Could be that this little gourami is so young, but I almost think it's a female. Not much coloration and has shorter, rounded fins. He/she is extremely meek/mild and has no issues so far with my feisty little female betta. The betta does on occasion chase the mollys and platys away from 'her' rock formation, but swims happily around with the little dwarf gourami.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Honey gouramis are pretty passive compared to dwarf gouramis in my experience....
What I've got is actually a honey dwarf gourami. Presumably a female.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
What you have is either a "dwarf gourami" or a "honey gourami"....there are no "dwarf honey gouramis". Stores will call them that, though. I am willing to bet you have a honey gourami...they are small, so stores stick "dwarf" in the name which causes confusion.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store