Goldfish and Powerhead filter ?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Boq

AC Members
Apr 9, 2013
Malaysia
I'm going to buy a 55g fish tank and going to buy 2 Powerhead filter each of it will be at back corner.. and i'm going to put 2 veiltail goldfish..
so this how i want it look like..
goldfis.png
i'm using paint so it might look ugly.. btw i just want that simple fish tank so i can clean it easily.. btw , is it okay to use that powerhead filter ?

goldfis.png

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
I'm going to buy a 55g fish tank and going to buy 2 Powerhead filter each of it will be at back corner.. and i'm going to put 2 veiltail goldfish..
View attachment 206472
i'm using paint so it might look ugly.. btw i just want that simple fish tank so i can clean it easily.. btw , is it okay to use that powerhead filter ?
I wouldn't recommend a powerhead. A bubble wand or 2 would be a better option for aeration. With a little imagination, bubblers can be very decorative.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Boq

AC Members
Apr 9, 2013
Malaysia
I wouldn't recommend a powerhead. A bubble wand or 2 would be a better option for aeration. With a little imagination, bubblers can be very decorative.

Actually , i'm using the powerhead filter not just for the bubble but for good filtration as many people recommend to must had good filtration..

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
Real Name
Jason
Actually , i'm using the powerhead filter not just for the bubble but for good filtration as many people recommend to must had good filtration..
A powerhead alone doesn't filter the water, it keeps particles in the water column longer so that they can be removed by a filter. An air stone, bubble wand, etc., would do the same but won't move your goldfish all around the tank. If good filtration is the issue, get a good filter. If you have a good filter, you can run 2 as many people do.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
A powerhead alone doesn't filter the water, it keeps particles in the water column longer so that they can be removed by a filter. An air stone, bubble wand, etc., would do the same but won't move your goldfish all around the tank. If good filtration is the issue, get a good filter. If you have a good filter, you can run 2 as many people do.
if you slap a big ole round sponge on the intake of the powerhead, it becomes a great filter. But along the same lines as ^ jason, with sponge sponge filters, air would do the same but won't move your goldfish all around the tank.

Wren

AC Members
Mar 27, 2011
Iowa
Real Name
Lisa
You can hook the power head to an under gravel filter too. That's how I have my 25 gal goldfish tank set up. Make sure you do big water changes with a gravel cleaner to get the gunk out.

wren

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
Real Name
Jason
View attachment 206472
Veil tail goldfish wouldn't appreciate too strong of a current. 1 power head with a filter attachment of some kind would suffice but only as supplemental filtration. Goldfish, in general are messy and efficient filtration is a must. What other filtration do you plan to run?

Boq

AC Members
Apr 9, 2013
Malaysia
Veil tail goldfish wouldn't appreciate too strong of a current. 1 power head with a filter attachment of some kind would suffice but only as supplemental filtration. Goldfish, in general are messy and efficient filtration is a must. What other filtration do you plan to run?

HOF Filter and canister filter

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
if you slap a big ole round sponge on the intake of the powerhead, it becomes a great filter. But along the same lines as ^ jason, with sponge sponge filters, air would do the same but won't move your goldfish all around the tank.
Exactly. Check eBay or the likes for internal filters. It's basically a powerhead with a sponge block on the suction. I've got one in my 55g along with a canister. It's similar to this one. You can remove the discharge plumbing and just have the flow shoot out the discharge port if you want:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store