New pond in back yard

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Apr 11, 2003
Arkansas
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I've been away from this forum for way too long, but wanted to get back involved if possible.

I dug out a pond this weekend next to the deck in the back yard. No pictures yet, hopefully in another day or two...

Question would be this...I have two pumps and filters for this pond...both 475 gallon filters, one running a fountain, the other will run the waterfall that I'll have coming out of the lighthouse keepers house.

I'm interested in learning more about bio filters...if anyone could give me some information, point me in the right direction, or whatever, I'd appreciate it.

Pond is about 20" at it's deepest point, deep enough for me in zone 7 Arkansas.

Woody:D

case_rums

AC Members
Nov 9, 2003
CT
Visit site
I have one of those prefab waterfall units they sell at home depot. It's a 3 teir. In the first I put a bunch of lava rock (same stuff you put in your gas grill), and gravel. In the second were a bunch of hyacinth. The third had some gravel and a snail or 10. That was all I had for filtration, bio or otherwise. My parameters were always top notch, and I never had green water except for the initial cycle. If that's not the route you wish to take, put the lava rock in a plastic tub. Cover with a couple of sponge materials. Use bulkhead fittings to install inlet's and an outlet. on the inlet you can drill holes in the bottom for a spray effect (better oxygenation).

Apr 11, 2003
Arkansas
Visit site
Just to make sure I understand what you're saying here...

You pumped the water from the pond to the top tier of this 3 tier waterfall, and then the lava rock and gravel was used as your filter for the water going back to the pond??

schiejr

AC Members
Mar 18, 2004
Madison, WI
Visit site
That is a good idea bawlsyTDi. Might even be able to grow some bogplants in the lava section with some smaller rocks or in pots-I may have to try that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store