Are Severums right for me...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Hi! I think severums are REALLY pretty and would like to get some, but I don't know if they'll work in my tank. It'd be going into a spacious 75 gallon, with a few other large fish, and some rasboras, which from what I've read are to fast for it. I do have a sailfin pleco though and some angelfish, so are severums fin nippers? Also, what is the typical temperament of these fish? I brought home a bad South American a little bit ago that I believe plucked the eye out of ram, so I don't want that to happen again! Any advice or past experience stories would be great! Thanks!

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Depends on the size of the Angel's compared to the size of the Severum. If the angel's are big and the severum small then the angels can gang up on it and if the severum is to big it may attack the angels. It ultimately comes down to the two species personalities. From my understanding severums are pretty laid back but no personal experience with them. Sailfins depending on the species whether it's P. gibbiceps or P. joselimaianus grow big especially P. gibbiceps obtaining a size of 18". Your already hitting a max bio-load with your current stock. I wouldn't worry much about the sailfins. They are not easily pushed around.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
The Pleco. is going to be upgraded when it gets too big. But I understand your concern. The severum would be only 1-2" when I get it, so I don't think my angel will have a problem. Thanks for the input!

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Right now in my 90 I have 2 severums...a rotkiel about 4inches and a super red about 3 inches. In with them I have a group of red head tapajos geos. I also HAD one veil tail blue angel. It is an adult and body size is about 3 inches. I noticed that it's fins were looking ragged, so started really watching everybody...didn't take long to realize that the small super red was chasing nipping, cornering the angel constantly. Took said angel out, put a pair of regular angels into the the same tank....now they are terrorizing the geos.....you just can't predict cichlids! That's the bottom line!

But given your statement aboutyour current stock and the fact that you have a 75...I would say no. Severums are generally speaking from my experience fairly laid back temperament wise....but are VERY active. I think of them as boisterous teenagers....they have no concept of personal space or how to handle their bodies!!! LOL They eat live plants, rearrange fake ones....I just don't think a 75 stocked as yours is would handle a severum very well.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Okay... Well, thanks for letting me know! I get the whole you can never predict fish thing... everyone says leporinuses are fin nippers and will eat other fish, but mines just a big old sweet heart. Never bothers anyone.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Oh, so then if not a severum, do you know of any fish that look similar, or some really cool cichlids or something that would work into my tank? I want to exchange one of my bad fish, and I DON'T want another pleco :)

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Oh, sorry, I thought that you had checked my stocklist. :) Here you go: 75 gal.- one Leporinus, 3 gouramis, one striped catfish,one angel, two kribensis, 5 harlequin rasboras, 2 rams, and a pleco.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store