Sunsun 302 media change..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Dumb question.. and maybe this applies to other no-name import canisters as well:

When you pop the top off the canister for a media change, what prevents water from continuously siphoning out of the suction and discharge hoses? I realize you'll get some spillage just from unlatching and removing the top, but I don't recall if the hose connection manifold deal on the canister top had any type of check valves or shut-offs in it?

If you undo and pull the hose manifold off the top, does that shut-off and prevent back-flow of the water? Directions and/or literature were basically non-existent with this ~$50 unit (as expected).

Thanks.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
My sun-sun was that way. Once you pop off the hose manifold, the tubing stayed primed but would not flow out.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Good to know. I couldn't recall if there was any type of shut-off mechanism on that removable manifold. I was too giddy with the shear excitement of setting it up.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Just an update..

Is it common for the floss pads to fall-apart on you?

I opened up and cleaned/replaced the media in my Sunsun 302 today. It's been in service about 6 weeks. It wasn't all that dirty. Some mulm in the bottom and the sponge and padding somewhat discolored

One thing I did notice was the floss pads that came with the unit became very loose and mushy. One of them I tossed out all together because of this. The thick blue coarse sponge for the bottom tray held up very nicely. I gave it good rinse and replaced the mushy, falling apart floss pads with some bulk floss. I tossed the carbon bag. Not sure if I want/need to use any chemical filtration at all, given this is a planted tank.

I've got it stacked like this:

Bottom tray: Coarse sponge with a floss pad on top.

Center tray: Bulk filter floss

Top tray: Plastic bio balls, some small, loose ceramic rings and a mesh bag of large ceramic rings, topped with a thin layer of bulk floss.

I didn't notice a difference in flow/output before or after the cleaning. All good either way.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
On that canister there's that lever between the two valves. If it's down, it somehow seals it so you don't lose suction, if it's up, it releases the suction. Personally, I release the suction before taking the top off. It's *much* easier to remove/replace the lid, even though I have to prime again.

So far, my floss pads have not come apart, but I will be cracking it this weekend. Flow has diminished to the point where I'm not happy with it, which seems to take about 6 weeks. I know the coarse pads and the filter floss will be filthy, and my flow will probably triple after the cleaning. Oh, and I'm sure I'll be finding a couple dozen RCS in there.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
On that canister there's that lever between the two valves. If it's down, it somehow seals it so you don't lose suction,.
Yeah, it's basically a ball-valve in there that shuts off the suction and discharge hoses at the detachable manifold. I had a bucket ready for the disconnect and dropped the hose/manifold into the bucket, but no more than a drop or two came off of it.

One mistake I made when putting the unit back into service was I initially installed the disconnect manifold backwards. I discovered this when a massive amount of bubbles started blowing out of the suction strainer in the tank when I started priming the unit. Flipped it around properly and all was well.

It wasn't too hard to re-prime, but would be easier if you loaded the canister with dechlorinated water before you button it back up.

I think next time I'll load the bottom tray with plastic pot scrubbers, coarse sponge in the middle, and floss, balls, rings in the top.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
It wasn't too hard to re-prime, but would be easier if you loaded the canister with dechlorinated water before you button it back up.

I think next time I'll load the bottom tray with plastic pot scrubbers, coarse sponge in the middle, and floss, balls, rings in the top.
Yep.

Why pot scrubbers first? They're usually an alternative to bio media, and will probably gunk up quickly if set first.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
The suggestions I've seen use the scrubbers as first stage mechanical filtration, due to their coarseness.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store