Help identifying potential illness in Glowlight Tetras please!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Emmielou92

Registered Member
Mar 25, 2013
NT.jpg (Picture on top not my own, but mine look v. similar) Glowbro.JPG

First time poster

Hello All.

My 6 Glowlight Tetras, seemingly overnight, have.. I apologize for my lack of articulation.. turned white? Their bodies have gone from a translucent slightly silvery colour, and are now a sort of opaque, milky white.. I see no ulcers, legions, marks etc, they seem to be white under their skin.
Fish behaviour is normal, eating fine, swimming OK, my Glowies are quite docile and shy as it is, my 3 originals are quite large with rounded bellies, not sure if this is normal.

Breathing semi rapid, perhaps normal, Black Neons slower in breath? Gills look fine, slightly pinky red, but all look the same, and always have. Had white spot cysts (no more then 3 on about 3 fish, but they have ceased after 3 doses of Anti White Spot) ALTHOUGH a few Black Neons have 1 or 2 'spots' but they look more shimmery.. 1 has a gold one, one silver on its body.. not
sure if it is just its pattern?

(Ich symptoms began a week ago)

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
(Test everyday)
Went to the Aquatics store a few weeks ago, and they said my Nitrate and pH level is fine. I apologize, I am new to Fishkeeping, and don't often check my Nitrate nor pH.. just every now and then.

Tank is a 65 Litre, (17 US Galls) (14 UK Galls) Rectangular.
I have had the tank approx 3 Months, (1 Month with Bacterial Promoter, then 2 Months with added fish)

Aqua Internal 200 Filter - 100-200 gall turnover ph? (a far superior filter for the tank size, but it was 'custom made' by my Aquatics store.

I have currently 6 Glowlight Tetras, and 6 Black Neon Tetras, about 1.5 inches in size, each.

My last water change was 2 days ago, Usually once a week, but more recently every 4 days due to Ich. I remove usually around 20-25%, but have removed 50% twice previously due to illness (Ich)
I gravel vacc every 2 weeks usually, but again, eachtime in the last 2 weeks due to Ich in the tank.

My first 3 Glowlights, and 2 Black Neons were added 2 months ago.
My last 3 Glowlights and 4 Black Neons were added exactly 2 weeks ago, and
I suspect as they were from another store, have brought disease in, as all fish were fine before I added the new ones.
I layed the bag into the tank water for approx 15 mins, (not long enough I know..) then put them in the tank. I was rather newbie and did not quarantine, my quarantine tank needs a new heater.. and poured them in.
I realize my error, and hope you do not judge me too harshly..

I added 3 new live plants in the last 2 weeks, and some driftwood, which I boiled previously. The plants may be contaminated..
I added more sand substrate 2 weeks ago, and 2 live plants about a month + ago. That's everything in my tank.
ALWAYS add de-chlorinater during w/c.

I originally fed them fish flake food, but for the last month, brine worm.
They nibble on the live plants occasionally also.
I feed once a day, a pinch, or a little more when a few of the smaller ones have not reached it. I fed every 2 days when cycling, which was 2 months agoish.

Thank you for reading, and I hope for your help and advice.
I apologize again for being rather naive. I adore my fish and do not want
my errors to potentially harm them.

Ask away!

PICTURE IS NOT MY OWN ON TOP, NOT MY GLOWIES, credit to the original pic, couldnt get a pic of them all on my cam.

Emma.

NT.jpg Glowbro.JPG

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
Possibly, Neon Tetra Disease.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Possibly, Neon Tetra Disease.
Which would basically mean isolate the infected fish, and then what? I don't recall seeing an actual treatment for it.

I didn't realize NTD could affect other types of tetras.

Slappy*McFish

Global Moderator
Staff member
Feb 18, 2002
Raleigh, NC
I have no personal experience with this disease including treatment so I can't help you there. There is a ton of info on the web to be found through searching, however. This disease can effect many different species of tetra and even unrelated species, as well (many cichlids, barbs, etc). As far as I know, it isn't easily treatable, if at all.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store