DIY 90 Gallon sump (for a 240 gallon tank)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DanChampion

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
Hi,
So I am new to the forum, but only somewhat new to fish. I have a 90 doing well with 30 African Cichlids. Decided to get another tank. A 240 fell into my lap. So It just made it to the basement yesterday and I am on a mission to build a nice sump out of another 90 I purchased. I am planning on drilling the tank, and having 3 1.5" returns (one with no flow and only for emergency, one at full flow, and the third taking up the slack (all hopefully to create a noiseless sump)

My questions are these:

1. Bio Balls or no. I understand the need for good mechanical filter previous to the balls, but are they a good idea.
2. Water changes, Is a slow 8 gallon a day drip of incoming water (also allowing for excess water to go down a drain) a good way to do my automatic water changes.
Thanks,
Dan

BigTank.jpg

BigTank.jpg

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Returns route water from the sump to the tank. You're installing 3 drains. It sounds like you're talking about a mofified Herbie style overflow. I did exactly the same thing on my cube tank. One drain feeds the skimmer, one drain feeds the wet dry, and a third is an emergency overflow. You will need to install a gate valve on any drain which carries water during normal operation. Not a ball valve, they don't allow the fine level of control needed to balance the flow. I would use bioballs necause they will oxidized more ammonia in a given period of time than almost any other biofilter, and the one downside they have which is leaving the nitrogen in the form of nitrate can be dealt with easily with your constant flow through. I would think 8 gals a day would be fine for a while, but as the fish grow/reproduce the nitrates will probably begin to climb. Leave easy provision to up the flow rate .

DanChampion

AC Members
Feb 3, 2013
SubRosa,
Thank you for the quick response. Yes, I mis-spoke drains, not returns (it was late when I was typing) Good call on the gate valves instead of ball valves. I have ordered ball valves, but will order two gate valves. I will be able to turn up the incoming water to nearly any possible need later, just thought to start around 8 gallons a day 64 gallons a week for water change seemed like a good place to start.

Next question:
Are inline chlorine removal filters pretty reliable? I have city water, so I won't want to be introducing any chlorine into the system.
Thanks
Dan

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store