Chromis question

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
Finally got my biocube cycled (29 reef tank) and got two chromis to put in it yesterday. One is picking on the other one a little. Would a third help, or would they just gang up on the weaker one? There's plenty of places in the live rock to hide and I don't want to overload the tank. Thanks!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Let me guess. The guy at the lfs told you Chromis were "peaceful Damsels". He was wrong. Chromis are very aggressive with each other , and need to be kept in large groups in large tanks to do well. The only stable population I've set up was a group of 12 in a 250 gal. Almost 4 years on there are still half a dozen left. The next tank I put Green Chromis in will require my getting inside to clean it. You will likely have no problem with your remaining Chromis after the weaker one dies. They usually are peaceful with other fish.

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
Dang. That's not good. I didn't think they'd do well as a single fish, but my tank isn't big enough for a big school. Should I take the weaker one back before the other one picks it to death?

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
If you can then yes, but then you might as well take both back and get something more suitable, like a Clownfish or two.

Bushkill

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
Bushkill, PA
Real Name
Angelo
If there's a larger fish present, they'll most likely play nice amongst themselves. The schooling thing is a gang preservation technique for these guys. When there's no threat, they are just another punk damsel. In a 29, I'm not advocating adding a fish of a big enough size to keep them in line. I'd take Subrosa's advice on this one. The guys at the LFS won't fess up to it, and they'll probably shake their head in disbelief when you tell them they are picking on each other.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
My general rule with small tanks and nano's if its not a mated pair no more then 1 species per tank. Clowns are your best bet for a pair of fish in a biocube. Cardinals could work too as long as you dont end up with 2 males.

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
Thanks everyone for the advice. I *do* want to keep one in the tank - they're really gorgeous. I think I'll put an Ocellaris in as well. Hopefully they'll get along okay.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I may be wrong, but I think clowns are a type of damsel, and so is a chromis, so that could be problematic. With marine angels, one per tank unless your tank is huge, and even then it's potential for trouble. Many of the angel profiles I've read explicitly say to not house with others of the same genus.

XanAvaloni

AC Members
Nov 13, 2009
well I have 2 clowns and 4 bg chromis in a 29 (long not cube) and they all get along fine. Some chasing, yes, but well what else do they have to do all day? :)

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
The clown and damsel/chromis will be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store