Discus issues!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ineedmoney4

AC Members
May 9, 2012
I don't know what's going on I don't see anything that's wrong with them except a large white pimple on one of the fishes top fin(not ick like bigger). I have treated with metro powder and prazi pro thinking that it might be something internal. Almost daily water changes. I have tested everything water parameters all perfect. But they keep acting crazy zipping throughout the tank running into things and its spreading. What do I do?? Please help me this upsets me so much.

PS only effecting the discus all other fish are perfectly ok havent had a problem.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Until someone can get on with more information, which a picture or three would facilitate, isolate the infected fish into a quarantine tank.

Ineedmoney4

AC Members
May 9, 2012
I have treated for flukes and anything internal. I saw another fish with a couple big pimples its not ich they kind look clear on bottom and a white top. Some kind of parasite. Going to try out paragaurd n see if I get any results.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Some pictures could save you money by getting something that resembles a diagnosis, so you don't try every medication out there. Besides, heavily medicating fish with medicines that may not be compatible can even kill your fish. Even a cell phone picture is better than nothing. You've got three people, including one who seems to be our resident discus expert, willing to help out, but a picture or two would be worth a lot more than vague descriptions.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Agreed. Meds are hard on fish....plus we have a responsibility to use meds wisely. Ever heard of antibiotic resistance?

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
And, what size tank? What are your ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, temperature and pH readings? What other fish are in the tank? There may be a clue in that information, as well.

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Please decribe their behavior a little more - are they making extremely mad, rapid dashes from one end of the tank to the other, banging into one end of the glass, and then the other ? (almost like they're going beserk ?)
Have you noticed any trying to get out of the tank at the top - jumpers ? Or is your tank covered ?
Would be good, as others have said, to know the size of your tank, your precise water params, how large your discus are - if you've had them for a while without this behavior having taken place before ? And pics.

If the behavior is somewhat as I've described, it's not Ich for sure, and I don't think it's flukes either.
I believe this is related to some form of toxicity affecting them, that they're trying to rid their bodies of.
Are you using Prime for conditioning your wcs ?.
Are you, or have you recently, used any type of aerosol sprays or other sprays in the house/near the tank ?

I have seen even mild (low) amounts (mini-spikes) of ammonia or nitrites, or both, produce this type of behavior. Even very low ammonium levels can partially break up back into ammonia under certain circumstances & conditions, and some test kits may not even reflect the presence of ammonium.

P.S. It could also possibly be a reaction to meds overdosing.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store