Newbie with African Dwarf Frogs

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BlueDragonfly

Registered Member
Apr 30, 2013
I'm new to keeping anything aquatic, so I've been making plenty of mistakes. Miraculously my frogs haven't died yet, but I want to keep it that way, so I've come to ask questions concerning maintenance.

Tank: Minibow 5
Size: 5 gallons
Filter: "Quiet Flow Filter and Cartridge"
Live Contents: 2 African Dwarf Frogs, 1 mossball, 1 bamboo, 2 freshwater plants (one dead)
Water Levels: Unknown (How do I test?)

So first thing I goofed on is the mistake some make when they see something new and shiny they just have to have: I bought my pets without doing all the research first. I tried to do some fast researching in the store and decided it was a task I wanted to take on. I bought my two African Dwarf Frogs from a toy store, picking them after following Internet advise on what a healthy frog looks like.

I took them home and later went and bought the Minibow 5 for them to live in. I don't plan on buying any more frogs or fish, since I know 5 gallons isn't very big. I bought rocks, some plants, and some hiding places for them, and then filled it with water. I didn't know what cycling was at the time, and when I read about it, I was afraid I'd killed my frogs, as I had ignorantly put them in after I'd filled the tank with water I bought at the grocery store. I had already poured out the water of their last box, but after reading about cycling, and finding there was still a little bit of water left, I carefully poured the rocks in so their ammonia water would mix with the water in the tank. I think I'd also dropped some pellets in for decomposition, though the frogs probably ate them. Worried, I had my bf take a sample of the water to PetSmart, and the guy there said that for cycling, my water was fine. Keep in mind this wasn't weeks, this had just been days. I know, plenty of mistakes made.

Well, there's a small filter in the tank, I think it might be called a whisper filter, not sure, but about a month or so in it began to make really weird noises and I had to turn it off. I don't know if it needs a change of cartridge or if the filter has busted (any ideas?). Also, the tank is starting to get grimy; is there something I add to the tank, or do I just clean it out? And how do I go about doing the latter?

Any advice would be appreciated! I can only imagine the reason they're still alive is I've heard they're pretty easy to take care of, and probably pretty resilient, but I don't want to test the boundaries.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Wow. I just stumbled across this. Could a mod please move this to Freshwater Newbie or General Freshwater, please?

You posted under marine (saltwater) and that isn't likely to get you a lot of viewers. In one of the two forums above, there is a sticky on cycling. If your filter is making noises, you need to check the filter media to see if it needs to be cleaned. Turning it off completely is going to ruin water chemistry pretty quickly. You need your water tested. Either buy a test kit (liquid preferred, or at least strips) or take a sample to a fish store to get it checked.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
1) The frog are are very near-sighted, so food must be placed in front of them.
2) They love worms, Brind shrimp, ect.
3) Yes, the tank must be cycled. Just clean the sides during water changes (you do water changes, right??)
4) Water must be de-chlorinated==Prime is best.
5) I have never used a "Whisper Filter", but is the water flowing??

BlueDragonfly

Registered Member
Apr 30, 2013
I didn't know General Marine/Newbie was a saltwater forum, my apologies.

I'll do a water test soon, I think I did gunk it up by turning the filter off. There's green (algae?) stuff settled on some things.

1. How often do I do water changes, and how do I get the gunk off the rocks and their seashell? My boyfriend said I could get one of those algae-eating fish but I don't think that would do it 100% and I don't know if the levels are right for one, or if having one would change the levels in a negative way.

2. About the whisper filter, I can't really tell. The surface of the water trembles faintly, no bubbles at least.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
You should do water changes either a) based on test results or b) regularly, more often will be better. Once every week is good. An algae eating fish will not work--even the smaller ones will compete with frogs for food. Shrimp might be a good option, but either way, you'll still need to do basic maintenance like cleaning the sides--there are a variety of options, ranging from scrapers to sponge-like pads. Ditto for cleaning ornaments--but more frequent water changes and better maintenance will reduce the growth.

Put your hand in front of the outflow--if you can't feel water moving, it isn't. The surface moving likely indicates that yes, it's working, since you haven't mentioned anything else that would cause that.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store