Random questions.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
1.) I have a bunch of LR sitting in a tub with 2 powerheads and a heater. Haven't touched it for several months (I think almost 7). Only things I did were top off with fresh RO water and I think I put mysis in once or twice just to feed the bacteria a little bit. Did a water param check. No nitrites or ammonia. VERY high nitrates though..I think around 160 mg/L. Might be a dumb question but can I just do a near 100% water change since its just LR? I plan to slowly add this rock back into my display but I dont even wanna start until water params in the tub are in check.

2.) I've made a pvc fixture that sits on top of my tank to hold my LED fixture. Not the prettiest thing but it's functional atleast lol. No pvc is touching the water at all. Is this a safe method to spray paint it black? Do I need to worry about evaporation interacting with the spray paint or anything?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=semttrJYAh8

3.) Everytime I aquascape, its been without light because I haven't had lights that can illuminate the tank while I have my hands in there. My dream is to someday be able to aquascape and actually see what I'm doing. I've been trying to figure out how I can make my current LED fixture height adjustable without changing the pvc structure. Is there any type of retractable hooks or something that I can use to attatch my led to the pvc. Right now, its just hanging around the pvc pipe from the hanging kit it came with.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Yeah you can change out the water just try not to let the rock be exposed to dry air to long.

I'd just spray it with krylon fusion, sticks well to most surfaces and even if it somehow ended up in the water its non toxic. Just give it a few hours to dry to the pvc and hang ii up.

I've seen setups with a pulley to raise and lower each end of the fixture.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
You can possibly create a "ring" or sleeve out of larger PVC than you're using for the frame, and have the light supporting bar fit between the pair of rings, and then a clamp (or maybe something as simple as a binder clip, depending on the weights) under each ring. That way, you release the clamp, and move it to where you want it, and reclamp it.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I would test the water for PO4 before I moved it to the display. I would expect to see high nitrates in that situation so if PO4 is close to zero, go ahead do a water change and add it. If you do have elevated PO4 understand that you are introducing a potential algae bomb into your system once that rock gets under light.

+1 to spray paint with Krylon. This won't be a problem.

Have any pics of the light stand?

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Didn't consider the phosphates. Unfortunately I dont have a phosphate test kit. Guess Ill have to pick up one of those. I thought I heard of a way to test for phosphates based on the reading of some other parameter? Anyone know what im talking about? In the meantime, I went ahead and setup some GFO for the tub anyways.

Authmal thanks for the suggestion! Sounds like a possibility.

And ill get a pic up just as soon as I spray paint it. Should be a little better I guess. It's definitely not one of those slick conduit pipe setups though.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store