SR Severum sexing, high back?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Daveunkefer

AC Members
Mar 12, 2013
Murrells Inlet SC
Real Name
Dave Unkefer
I have a group of six 3+ inch super red severums in my 125g.

There is 2 obvious different shapes to the fish. One kind has a high back compared to the other.im wondering if this is how maybe I can tell the sex of them? What do you guys think??

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1367641241.028434.jpg ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1367641257.938453.jpg

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Not sure mine are the same I have 1 Super Red and 3 Greens and the Super Red looks like a different strain.. There are a few sub species of Sev's though..

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Not sure mine are the same I have 1 Super Red and 3 Greens and the Super Red looks like a different strain.. There are a few sub species of Sev's though..
Color varieties are not subspecies.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
First one is almost certainly male, second one is probably female. Look at the shape of the head. The first fish is developing a nuchal hump, which is usually a male characteristic.

Daveunkefer

AC Members
Mar 12, 2013
Murrells Inlet SC
Real Name
Dave Unkefer
First one is almost certainly male, second one is probably female. Look at the shape of the head. The first fish is developing a nuchal hump, which is usually a male characteristic.
ok i see what you are saying. thats awesome.
thanks.

it seems like the top fin is a lot different also.

Daveunkefer

AC Members
Mar 12, 2013
Murrells Inlet SC
Real Name
Dave Unkefer
I saw your pics of the large sevs you got. Great find. I wish I could find some large ones.

Great looking fish.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
ok i see what you are saying. thats awesome.
thanks.

it seems like the top fin is a lot different also.
Top and bottom fins (dorsal and anal fins) are generally longer and more pointed on males.

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
SubRosa wrote:
Color varieties are not subspecies.
Wouldn't these two be subspecies Heros severus and Heros efasciatus both look alike but are different.. And i do know different color variants are not subspecies.. Thanks for your input.. Guess I should have said there are different Heros..

Last edited:

Pittbull

Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
Daveunkefer wrote:
I saw your pics of the large sevs you got. Great find. I wish I could find some large ones.

Great looking fish.

Thanks Dave, yeah i was lucky to find these I guess I was in the right place at the right time..

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
SubRosa wrote:

Wouldn't these two be subspecies Heros severus and Heros efasciatus both look alike but are different.. And i do know different color variants are not subspecies.. Thanks for your input.. Guess I should have said there are different Heros..
Efasciatus and severus are each full species of their own, and although they look rather similar, there are significant differences in both max size and most importantly mode of reproduction. Odds are you've never seen a live H. severus in the trade. They're not readily available.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store