Nanoreef stocking

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
Given my recent issues with bad advice from the LFS, any advice is welcome.

I have two biocubes - one 29, one 14. Both are stocked with quite a bit of nice Fiji LR and LS and have decent lighting setups for basic beginner coral (which is all I'm going to attempt for now).

I'm hoping to stock the 29 (pic below) with the Chromis (current resident), a six-stripe wrasse, a yellow goby, and one or a pair of Ocellaris. Plus an emerald crab and some hermits and snails. I've set up the LR so there's a ton of hiding places, but most have flow-through to keep the dead spots down. I have an extra powerhead but haven't yet acquired a skimmer (it's on the priority list). Maybe one day I can add an anemone, but I've been told to wait at least 6 months before even trying it.

29 LR.jpg

The 14g is going to be almost strictly coral and invert, though we might put a pseudochromis or a blue damsel in, since they won't have anything to fight with.
I'd like to add a fire shrimp and an arrow crab, but not till it's better established.

Coral is down the road, though I've got what looks like a volunteer polyp and a couple of other oddities on the rock. NO aiptasia, thank goodness. Any recs for easy beginner species would be very welcome.

The 29g water is in fantastic shape. Testing the 14g water today. Can't wait to see how it's looking.

29 LR.jpg

Last edited:

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I would say no to the arrow in the 14, they can get kinda big and some can be rather aggressive as in attacking fish and other invert's. Some possible good 14g invert's pom pom crab, porcelien crab, squat lobster, sexy shrimp, pistol shrimp

Easy corals would be GSP, Xenia, most mushrooms, ricordea, zoa's, toadstools and other leathers. Some easy LPS's but once you start keeping them you also have to start monitoring and keeping up Calcium, stronium, trace levels.

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
I love porcelains! Thank you for the advice! (I thought I wanted a Sally Lightfoot till I started researching them. Not so much now.)

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
I would avoid xenia and green star polyps in either of those tanks unless you really like those corals. Both will spread quick and take over a lot of real estate. Many LPS are not much more difficult than softies.

In the 29, I might avoid a 6-line. If you want a wrasse, go with a McCoskers or similar wrasse which are far less aggressive.

In the 14, know that that most pseudo will kill ornamental shrimp and crabs.

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
Thanks for that. No pseudo, then, since the star of the 14g tank is going to be a fire or coral shrimp. Maybe a goby would be better company for him.

Re clowns - is one okay by itself, or do they do better in pairs?

Also - is that too much LR, do you think?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Rock amount looks fine. For the 14g fish wise you could do a shrimp goby combo, along with something like a clown goby, rainford goby, firefish, or yellow striped cardinal.

If by coral shrimp you mean coral banded I'd stick with the fire shrimp if you want to keep any small fish in there.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Rock amount looks fine. For the 14g fish wise you could do a shrimp goby combo, along with something like a clown goby, rainford goby, firefish, or yellow striped cardinal.

If by coral shrimp you mean coral banded I'd stick with the fire shrimp if you want to keep any small fish in there.
+1. Skunk cleaner is another cool shrimp. Cheaper than the fire shrimp and will be out in the open a lot more. Blood fire shrimp stay hidden most of the time.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
My Fires are usually visible usually perching spot is an overhang at the front of the tank. The original one spent the first few weeks on the backside of the rockwork but eventually moved out front probably after realizing thats where most of the food goes.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Re clowns - is one okay by itself, or do they do better in pairs?

Also - is that too much LR, do you think?

Thanks again.
Most SW fish are really loners, and do fine by themselves. So one clown is just fine.

There can never be TOO much LR, unless it effects flow and swimming room. IMO---Most people have too little.

LauraL

AC Members
Jan 1, 2009
N.C.
Came home with a yellow clown goby, an emerald crab, and 2 nassarius snails. I'm worried it's a little early for inverts - the tank's only been up and running 8 weeks. But the chem looks good, ph 8.3, temp 76, SG 1.0225.

Thank god they double bagged the crab. He'd already put a hole in the inner bag in the 20 min it took to get him home. I'm hoping I can get him acclimated before he decides to let himself out of the bag he's in. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store