What does this frogspawn light reaction mean?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
I've been using my new LED fixture for a week now. There's been what seems like a mixed response.

New fixture: http://www.cfsco.net/aqledli12bld.html

I have the blues set to about 45% and the whites at 35% or so. Fixture is 6 inches off the water. My old lights were a marineland reef capable fixture and some no brand generic 1 watt led strips from my LFS. But I've taken these off since I put the new fixture on. Like I said, there's been a mixed response. My frogspawn in particular seems to expand more but the green color seems less vibrant. Tank is 24 inches deep and frogspawn is in the middle of the tank. My brain coral is on the sand bed. I have always had trouble with this coral (probably due to the lack of light from the marineland) but so far it hasn't really shown any change. There is no tissue loss but the color has been faded for a long time and i am hoping it will come back with the light upgrade.

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Increasing the intensity of the blue channel should help with the Frogspawn. Just take it slowly.

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Slowly being the key word :).

Benson

Roll Tide!
Apr 8, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Visit site
Real Name
Benson Walker
Yes very slowly indeed. I'm lucky because LFS where I get my coral uses all LED lighting and the corals love my AI's, but when I first moved over to LEDs I burned some of the corals I had in my old 40 gallon breeder.

ThatNewFishGuy

AC Members
May 4, 2010
Alright, gotta take it slow. Would that be like a 5 increase every week? Stop around 70% blue, 50% white? I never had a fixture that had dimming so I dont know what values they should be set at

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store