designing a 3D background

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I have been doing some reading and watching videos on making 3-D backgrounds...This is what I have come up with for a design. 75 gal 3-D background.png

75 gal 3-D background.png

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
This will be for a 75 gallon. I can't decide on what size around the PVC should be or the thickness of the Styrofoam...any idea's?
As for fish sizes, 5-7 inches max length, not sure on height...there will be a sail/ long fin pleco so....

If I am forgetting some info please ask.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Daveunkefer

AC Members
Mar 12, 2013
Murrells Inlet SC
Real Name
Dave Unkefer
i made a DIY cement background. I didnt use PVC though. Are you using the PVC for holes the fish can hide or something? I have a jack dempsey around 7 inches maybe bigger that fits in a 4-5inch pvc pipe. But i feel as though that would take up a lot in a 75 if you are running it across the whole back.

Daveunkefer

AC Members
Mar 12, 2013
Murrells Inlet SC
Real Name
Dave Unkefer
i made a DIY cement background. I didnt use PVC though. Are you using the PVC for holes the fish can hide or something? I have a jack dempsey around 7 inches maybe bigger that fits in a 4-5inch pvc pipe. But i feel as though that would take up a lot in a 75 if you are running it across the whole back.
Well i guess it wouldn't take up much room. Im assuming its a regular 75g. meaning 18 inch deep, wouldnt be bad at all.

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
Yes the holes will be for the BN pleco and/ or any other fish to hide in.

That is good to know about the Dempsey pipe size.

Yeah the game plan is to run the pipe the length of the tank. And yes it is a standard 75 gal. What I just thought of is whether to pur the pipe in front of the background or stacked under it...hhhmm.

For simplicity sake in front would be easier.

Brian Anderson

AC Members
Nov 17, 2006
Ohio
www.facebook.com
Real Name
Brian Anderson
I would have to have a permanent PVC pipe that I couldn't get to, to clean out or check for my pleco when I haven't seen him for days. If something dies in there, and you can't get to it with the gravel vac, you'll be fighting ammonia for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I have a python siphon which is decently flexible. I don't plan on sealing the end, so that should provide a viewing port. But I do see the reason for concern. Maybe I will shorten the tube 3" on both sides for easy fish in/ out and cleaning purposes.

I still have not decided how to build the wall yet. I bought great stuff larger than 1" gap...its not easily manipulated. And once I break its shell after its dried will it release chemicals?

Styrofoam seems smart, but I am worried the cement will change the water chem...

Has anyone used kyrlon paint to paint Styrofoam and then clear coat or epoxy to seal it? And silicone on the backside to keep it in place?

Fish_Bone

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Central Illinois
Real Name
Samual
I bought 3" PVC today. I cut it just barely under 48"...it doesn't fit, LOL. I plan to shave it down and see if I have time to start the pattern for holes to be cut.

10(active), 30(active), 75 (in progress)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store