Freshwater Clams

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
Just browsing ebay and found some freshwater clams advertised and realized I can get these locally out of ponds for free. I searched and saw a couple posts mentioning it but not really anyone saying they did have any. I wonder if anyone has tried this yet? Sounds like a neat deal, would help clean out the substrate I can't reach probably. Just wondering, Kyle

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Not a good idea, IMO. I've tried them, and studied the native ones quite a bit. They require tough water conditions--no ammonia/nitrites, very low nitrates. But, since they are filter feeders, they need lots of suspended food particles in the water column. Tough for us to maintain in a tank. They do best in a mud substrate, but most can get by with sand--gravel won't work for them in the long term. Since native species are likely cool/cold water, they don't thrive in our tropical tanks. And, since they do bury themselves and are most visible at night, it's tough to notice when one dies--and they will create quite a spike when this happens.

Another potential problem--if they reproduce, the larvae are fish parasites. Some are species specific so probably not a threat, but still a pain.

JMO, but leave in the streams and lakes.

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Another issue to consider is local game laws as well, I am not familiar with OKlahoma, but most states have pretty strict laws on harvesting and transportation, some species are currently protected here in Ohio, and even if you have good intentions, the fines are stiff. Get a set of fishing laws (if you don't already have them) and check it out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store