Kenyi female holding, but no Kenyi male in tank...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kkedavison

AC Members
May 11, 2013
Hi all,

I have a female Kenyi that has been holding eggs for at least 4 days.. I say at least because I don't know the exact date she started. I didn't even think I had any males in my tank, per several sexing guides that I've read on various forums.. But obviously I do because I now have a Kenyi with eggs. I separated her from the rest, and she spat out 7 eggs, 2 of which sadly did not make it. She still has more in her mouth. The eggs are starting to oblong, but I haven't noticed eyes yet. This is my first time and I am completely unknowledgeable!

I have:

1 Kenyi
1 Peacock
1 Frontosa
1 Orange (don't know the genus, etc...)

in my 40 gal tank.

Thanks in advance...

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
It wasn't the Peacock and it wasn't the Frontosa..........

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
Possible, but it's at least as likely the Orange Fish could be the daddy if it's a Pseudotropheus estherae or a Labeotropheus trewavasae, which are probably the most common orange Rift Lake Cichlids.

Pittbull

ALL BOW DOWN TO THE FIN GODS
Apr 14, 2007
Louisville Kentucky
Real Name
Mike
I agree with Sub it was more than likely the Orange fish.. Possible Red Zebra which will hybridize..

coyotethug

AC Members
Jun 9, 2011
Could be the peacock. I have seen an OB zebra hybridize with a ruby red peacock. Ended up with really red OB. Prob a red zebra hybrid though.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

kkedavison

AC Members
May 11, 2013
I just posted a new thread and I probably should have just asked yall on here. My orange one seems to be developing egg spots? Does that happen? Definitely haven't had them the whole time, and they're pretty faint still.

kkedavison

AC Members
May 11, 2013
By the way, I ended up stripping the Kenyi because she wasn't eating and I didn't have an adequate tumbler situation. Please don't judge! :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store