Angel Fish Sick, I need help

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
I have a tank with three Double Black Angel fish. They were fine this morning when I cleaned the tank but tonight, The edges of their tails and fins are white and they have cloudy eyes. I figured it was a parasite so I used Protazoll by Sera Med. am I doing right is it a parasite. I did have a little to much amonia in the tank which has now cleard up with my water change. I change the water once a week. The water tests fine for PH, hardness and all the other things. Thanks for your help.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
The described symptoms are nothing like ich. Pictures?

And what is "a little too much ammonia?" What do you normally have for ammonia?

Have you added anything to the tank? A parasite needs a vector to enter the environment, so if nothing new has been added, it's unlikely to be a parasite. Illness is more likely in that case.

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
Its Not Ick, I know what that looks like. I tested the ammonia and the test showed it was a little green. The amonia was really not that bad. I haven't added anything to the tank. What I did do was take one fish from one tank and put it in another tank that alread had two in it. I was trying to breed them. Buy the way do you know what you keep your nets in to clean them. I have 25 tanks and run them under hot water before I go to another tank. I think there should be something more I could do.

Glabe

River Rat
May 10, 2011
A water change is not a often permanent solution to high ammonia. High ammonia isn't just a problem, it's a symptom of other problems in the tank. Could your tank cleaning have caused a mini cycle?

White edges on the fins and cloudy eyes seem like the symptoms of common sicknesses in tanks with stressed fish and/or poor water quality. I've never used that med, but it seems ok I guess... If you can't get the ammonia to stay at 0 now, throw some prime or zeolite in the tank

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
"A little green" is a bit vague. There should be 0 ammonia in the water when you test. 0. The only exception I can think of off hand is the .25 reading you use Prime as your decholorinator. If there's ammonia, it sounds like your tank is not cycled.

I would recommend stepping up water changes until your ammonia consistently reads 0 (or .25 if you're using Prime).

When adding a conspecific cichlid, it's probably a good idea to take them all out of the tank, rearrange it, and then add all of them. That should help settle territory disputes. This can't be a parasite, if you've added nothing new to the tank to introduce one. That leaves stress and illness. Since you've added a fish to the tank, they can all be stressing each other out. How big is the tank in question?

I keep my nets in air, typically. That said, I only have 2 tanks (almost talked my wife into letting me set up a second 10, third if you count the QT, with a betta and CPDs) running right now, and don't worry about cross contamination, because new fish typically go into a quarantine tank, and are pulled out after a month or so, if healthy. Granted, my last three species' acquisitions, and likely my next (EBR/rummynose tetras/koi angelfish and otos, respectively) didn't/won't go to QT, but I know it's a calculated risk.

Bonniegiff

AC Members
Jul 18, 2010
The water was perfect. I think you nailed it when you said stress. The pair of angels were put together 2 weeks ago and one of the angels kept attacking the other. I took him out and put him in a hospital tank. We thought he was fine so we put him in another angel tank and then that is when everything went wrong. The white tails and fins and cloudy eyes. He was a beautiful Double Black Vail tail but he died last night. Thanks again for your help.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I'd pretty much stop right at 'a little too much ammonia'.

A healthy, established tank should never build up any ammonia.

What are your exact readings (in ppm) for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? Those are the main parameters to worry about.

stephcps

AC Members
Jun 2, 2009
Stress doesn't make fish sick all of a sudden either...as in fine this morning, not fine tonight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store