Resealing tanks

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
I know it sounds pretty simple but are there any tips or tricks or any particular Youtube videos/instructional articles that you guys recommend to make the process more successful and easier?

So far:
-Use stationary holder for the razor blade to prevent it from retracting or hurting my thumb when scraping
-Use tape to get clean lines and remove after silicone has been applied

Do you guys recommend a silicone spreader tool? I seem to get silicone everywhere when I just use my finger and my fingernails get in the way. I don't have a nice seam, there's a visible and palpable edge due to poor spreading. It hasn't receded when dry, although today is day two and I'm testing it for water tightness tonight. So I don't know yet whether water will creep underneath.

Putting the tape on is a pain. Is painter's tape easier to use than duct?

Again, a fairly simple process but I complicate things and also tend to mess up the easiest of DIY projects so thought I'd ask. Thanks.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
i wouldn't use duct tape. It is prone to leaving a sticky mess behind. Painters tape is very easy to use, and easy to remove without any residue.

Bushkill

Registered Member
Dec 1, 2011
Bushkill, PA
Real Name
Angelo
i wouldn't use duct tape. It is prone to leaving a sticky mess behind. Painters tape is very easy to use, and easy to remove without any residue.
A BIG +1 on the duct tape. Depending on the brand, it can be three times as thick as painters' masking tape. That's what raises the edge you're referring to, and no it won't recede at any thickness. By the time you've applied the silicone over the duct tape joints, removed the tape, and tried to run your finger over the silicone, it's already started to skin over most probably which really makes a mess of he seam. You'll have to get to the point where you apply it, pull the tape and let it cure.

Try using latex gloves if you have to but remember the gloves need to be cleaned off too if you want to prevent a mess.

If you have that much excess, the opening in the tube is too large.

There's a few different caulk spreading tools out there with different profiles that make the job a little easier. Look in the section where things like scraping tools are in the caulking section. Although, you'll come to realize they work pretty much the same as human finger and if you put down too much silicone the issue doesn't get any easier to deal with.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store