Update need cycling advise

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BrokerTamara

AC Members
May 6, 2013
Chicago Area
Real Name
Tamara
Set up tank on Saturday night. Dechlorinated water and then transferred decor and existing seeded media from 46 gallon.

Tested a day later and got no readings. Do not like API chart as they give very little info on in between readings and colors can be close.

So crushed up pellet food small piece next to days to make sure ammonia source was present. Bought pure ammonia decided not to use it.

I transferred another well seeded filter pad to my sump and another decor from my 46 gallon tank.

Earlier I was reading 0 for ammonia and nitrites. Now I see a slight rise in ammonia under ,25 ( api test kit doesnt give much information when reading charts) and slight sign of nitrites over the past 0 readings yesterday. It also looks like I beginning to show nitrates.

So instead of tranferring I am waiting. I have crushed a small amount of fish pellets into the tank to see what would happen twice.

I have in my sump a sock at first to catch debris, then two seeded filterpads and new sponges and cermaic in a bag, then bio balls with water trickling over ( some like 20 from another tank). I also have decor from exisiting tank about 7 fake plants .

It should of been ready to transfer my fish and watch the ammonia etc and then I saw the ammonia reading looked like yellow( 0) then closer look had a hint of green and nitrate went from clear blue ( 0) to a little more color. And ofcourse nitrate slightly more color.

I tested my 46 gallon and it had no ammonia sign so I decided to wait.

The pH is slightly higher in new tank. My 46 gallon is a medium blue 7.2? The 9- gallon is a dark shade of blue so about 7.8. How can you read those charts with nothing in between.

I also put a sponge into the overflow that was sitting in my current tank water.

So I decided to see what the readings are tomorrow.

I also have a question about bio wheels form my 46 gallon. Can I float them anywhere like with my filter pads as they have been running for 5 years. I have no room for this filter on the new tank.

I appreciate anyone taking the time to respond. My fish are five years old and 6 and 8 inches and heavy blood red parrots that are pets.

View attachment 206870

Thanks,
Tamara

Sump is 29 gallon
1st compartment sock
2nd filter pads =, two seeded, sponge commercial quality, cermaics in sock
3rd: Bio balls a few seeded with water trickle over
4th: Sump rio 2500

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
The sponges should quick cycle it a slight spike in some of the readings isn't abnormal

I suppose you could probably toss the biowheels in with the bioballs, or just hang the filters on the tank temporary for a day or two to help spread the bacteria.

The API kits kinda suck but better then dip strips, other tests out there are easier to read and give more precise readings but they also cost a lot more.

BrokerTamara

AC Members
May 6, 2013
Chicago Area
Real Name
Tamara
Thanks for the reply. Which tests should I buy?
My bow wheel filter is too large for the sump and no room on the 90 gallon. I agree bio balls may be the best option to toss them in with.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Elos and Salifert are both excellent tests, most of my tests are a mix of those and electronic testers. I have a few api's for stuff i dont test often like nitrites.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
I usually search around online when I'm in need due the huge price differences between some sellers, off the top of my head drfostersmith, bulkreefsupply.com marinedepot.com

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I guess I don't get what the confusion is with the API master test kit?

If the ammonia test isn't green, you don't have any ammonia. Any amount of ammonia is bad.

If the nitrite tube isn't purple, you've got 0ppm nitrite, which you should have given you loaded this new tank with established bio media.

I would add some hardier fish and continue monitoring water parameters. Eventually all you should see is nitrates rising.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I guess I don't get what the confusion is with the API master test kit?

If the ammonia test isn't green, you don't have any ammonia. Any amount of ammonia is bad.

If the nitrite tube isn't purple, you've got 0ppm nitrite, which you should have given you loaded this new tank with established bio media.

I would add some hardier fish and continue monitoring water parameters. Eventually all you should see is nitrates rising.
It boils down to the test itself. many of the 'ammonia' tests, test for total ammonia which we know is NH3+NH4
NH3(ammonia) is toxic while NH4 (ammonium)is less so..of course this is the part where Ph plays into it.. as NH4 tends to remain more stable as NH4 in acidic water. the opposite is true with Basic/alkaline water when NH4 can be converted to NH3.
in essence you may not know which ammonia you have unless you have the test for NH3

discuspaul

AC Members
Jun 22, 2010
Surrey, B.C. Canada (Vancouver)
Real Name
Paul
Rather than using a small amount of fish pellets, which decompose slowly and may not be producing much ammonia, at least for now - a much better method would be to dose the bottled ammonia (which you said you have) - up to a 3 ppm level and keep testing with your API kit (which should be quite reliable).
If and when the 3 ppm ammonia is reducing significantly overnite, then you know your seeded media is well on it's way to doing the job, and you'll be able to gauge progress of your cycle much more accurately.
This would prove much more evident than the hit & miss decomposing fish food approach.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store