Tank mates for Quetzal Cichlid

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
I live in King William county Virginia, USA
Real Name
Jason
I have a 75g with 3 large fish; a Quetzal Cichlid, a Leporinus Affins, and a Sailfin Plecostomus. I also have 2 Pictus catfish and a Red finned Shark. The problem is, I had 5 Silver Dollars but sold them. Now it looks like something's missing. The fish seem fine with the additional space and they kill everything I've recently tried to add. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
With those other fish, I think in hindsight, removing the silver dollars was a bad idea. They're a good size for dealing with you other large fish, without being too large. Get some more silver dollars? I guess you could look at clown barbs, as well; I just don't think they're as appealing. Bala sharks get to be about a foot long, so I don't know if you want those. No matter what direction you choose, I'd recommend removing your leporinus and quetzal (I doubt your pleco is going to show much aggression to the other fish), redecorate your tank, at least by moving stuff around, and then try introducing them back to the tank with the other fish already in there. That may break up their territories enough that the other fish aren't targeted.

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
Real Name
Jason
With those other fish, I think in hindsight, removing the silver dollars was a bad idea. They're a good size for dealing with you other large fish, without being too large. Get some more silver dollars? I guess you could look at clown barbs, as well; I just don't think they're as appealing. Bala sharks get to be about a foot long, so I don't know if you want those. No matter what direction you choose, I'd recommend removing your leporinus and quetzal (I doubt your pleco is going to show much aggression to the other fish), redecorate your tank, at least by moving stuff around, and then try introducing them back to the tank with the other fish already in there. That may break up their territories enough that the other fish aren't targeted.
I realize that selling my Silver Dollars was a big mistake. They were all around 5" and fit in perfectly but I helped a friend establish his tank, oh well. I'm trying to find something different but don't want to give up what I have.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
The suggestion about rearranging the decor still stands. It breaks up the territories again, and may quell some initial aggression.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
I'm sure with good nutrition and water quality that Quetzal cichlid will grow fast, at which point he will really dominate your 75...they get well over a foot long according to every website I've checked. I'd trust Loiselle for sure: http://www.fishchannel.com/freshwater-aquariums/species-info/cichlid/quetzal-cichlid.aspx

Large tinfoil barbs could work? Although again, I think you'll find yourself fully stocked before you know it!

Beautiful tank btw, and very impressive Leporinus. I can see why you went with artificial decor considering you have lots of primarily vegetarians.

jasonfishaddict

AC Members
Jun 18, 2010
Real Name
Jason
I'm sure with good nutrition and water quality that Quetzal cichlid will grow fast, at which point he will really dominate your 75...they get well over a foot long according to every website I've checked. I'd trust Loiselle for sure: http://www.fishchannel.com/freshwater-aquariums/species-info/cichlid/quetzal-cichlid.aspx

Large tinfoil barbs could work? Although again, I think you'll find yourself fully stocked before you know it!

Beautiful tank btw, and very impressive Leporinus. I can see why you went with artificial decor considering you have lots of primarily vegetarians.
Thanks. I'm not sure of the sex, females don't get as big and I've this fish for 2 years. The Silver Dollars really got along well in this set up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store