High Ph

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

BrokerTamara

AC Members
May 6, 2013
Chicago Area
Real Name
Tamara
I have updating on my new tank 90 gallon freshwater, with 29 gallon sump and overflow and what is going on. Running for five days with seeded filter material. The PH remains high as this point. I am wondering if it is the background possibly. It was used before and commercial grade for one month.

Close up tank.jpg

I am reading online. Also would changing water help?

I have an over flow. Do I change the water in main tank only?

I am using established media and fish food to keep cycling. I cant transfer my fish until I figure out why the ph is so differfent then my other tank using the same water etc.

The API test kit is light blue for 46 gallon and dark blue for 90 gallon. It is rosey color when testing using the high Ph Test.

Thanks,
Tamara

Full Tank Picture.jpg

Close up tank.jpg Full Tank Picture.jpg

pbeemer

AC Members
Apr 27, 2010
So Cal
not having an api test kit, i can't tell what those pH levels are; if it's not more than 8.0, you should be fine. the pH should go down as you add livestock to the tank, which may explain why the occupied tank has a lower pH than the one that is just cycling..

what is that background piece made of?

BrokerTamara

AC Members
May 6, 2013
Chicago Area
Real Name
Tamara
Hi, the background is commercial quality and made of styrophone type of material and sealed and used for one month in a tank. I am wondering if I should take out the front part of it as it is two pieces. I will also test my tap water.

I did rinse prior to using again and it was from a professional aquarium shop.

Thanks for your help.

BrokerTamara

AC Members
May 6, 2013
Chicago Area
Real Name
Tamara
It was over 8. At least 8.2 at one point in the tank. Now it is better around 8.

Out of the tap 7.2.ph. I have the tank ready togo with existing media. So far amonia is low and no nitrites however no nitrates either yet using APi testing kit. My ph is 7.2 at highest in my 46 gallon.

I will test again tomorrow. This is stressful and I want to make sure my fish are ok when I transfer.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
This shouldn't be a stressful event. All you need to do is be patient, and test as necessary.

BrokerTamara

AC Members
May 6, 2013
Chicago Area
Real Name
Tamara
Yes. Thank you. Others are making it stressful at my house. What do you like to use as a ammonia source. My tank should run smooth with fish in it as I transferred so much media. I cant get a nitrate reading or lets say it is dark yellow on API test. Ph is going down which is great as it was high.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
In all likely hood if you transferred enough media you're cycled already.

Dollar store ammonia seems to be the best stuff, cheap, 100% pure, no artificial colorings or scents added.

BrokerTamara

AC Members
May 6, 2013
Chicago Area
Real Name
Tamara
Thanks, I got it as ace and I am deciding. I wish I could hire an expert to come to the house.

I work a lot so I like to watch closely when I transfer . Ican easily test twice a day.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Take a sample of water from the tap and let it sit in a bowl overnight. Then test the pH. CO2 dissolves into the water in the pipes, artificially lowering the pH. once it gases off, the pH 'bounces' up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store