magnets and heaters

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Any reason why noone sells heaters with magnets instead of suction cups, will magnets screw with the thermostat or something? I have a couple heaters that came with junk suction cups(aqueons) that wont stick to the glass for more then a few days no matter what i do to them. Was going to order a couple of these http://www.marinedepot.com/Zoo_Med_...ter_Accessories-Zoo_Med-MZ4111-FIHTHA-vi.html I want to make sure magnets aren't going to lead to the heater being stuck on or anything first though.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Really? None of my heaters have failed to keep the heater in place. Even my 2 year old Aqueon heater is stable, and it's fairly difficult to move the suction cups if I want to change where the heater is.

Then again, my tanks are tempered glass, and that may have an impact.

Narwhal72

AC Members
Aug 13, 2009
Cost mainly, but there are also patent issues. Magnets are considerably more expensive than suction cups. Any business would have a hard time selling heaters that are $10-$20 more simply because they have magnets.

Zoomed does make magnetic heater holders as an accessory you can buy. The metal contact pins used for the thermostat control are typically copper or brass which are not magnetic metals and will not be affected by the magnet.

I also use Aqueons and the key is to really make sure the glass is clean before you apply them. If the suction cups are old and brittle you can boil them to make them softer again.

Andy

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Really? None of my heaters have failed to keep the heater in place. Even my 2 year old Aqueon heater is stable, and it's fairly difficult to move the suction cups if I want to change where the heater is.

Then again, my tanks are tempered glass, and that may have an impact.
Just these two particular ones, I have a couple others that haven't moved in a couple years.

TL1000RSquid

AC Members
Apr 6, 2011
NY
Cost mainly, but there are also patent issues. Magnets are considerably more expensive than suction cups. Any business would have a hard time selling heaters that are $10-$20 more simply because they have magnets.

Zoomed does make magnetic heater holders as an accessory you can buy. The metal contact pins used for the thermostat control are typically copper or brass which are not magnetic metals and will not be affected by the magnet.

I also use Aqueons and the key is to really make sure the glass is clean before you apply them. If the suction cups are old and brittle you can boil them to make them softer again.

Andy
I'm sure some people besides myself would buy them with magnets, some companies like Tunze sell pretty much every product attaching by magnets from powerheads to filters. I do understand not wanting to use them when you try to keep price as the main selling point but Fluval and cobolt have heaters starting at $50 where price isn't really a sell point.

I'll try boiling the cups and scrubbing the area real good again, I did run them under hot water last time to soften them.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
Maybe magnets will effect the electrical properties of the heaters.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
If they do, I've not noticed. I've been using the magnetic holders on several tanks for about a year now with no change in the temperature stability.

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
The zoomeds. Bought some when they first came out--and were in stock! They're really nice for SW tanks, since SW pretty well ruins rubber suction cups. My only complaint is that there isn't a great variety of the clamp bit, so not all heaters can be well secured. Since I put most of my heaters in horizontally, it's not a big deal, but for the ones that have to go vertically it sucks. Measure your heater before buying to make sure it will fit snugly into one of the clamps.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I think if the heater coil energized near a magnet, it would shoot the heater out of the tank like a plunger rod on a solenoid. I'm kidding.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store