Harlequin Rasbora Looks Ill

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CinnamonPearl

Professional Whovian
May 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
I have seven harlequin rasboras in my 20 long and it looks ill. Every other fish is fine, but this fish doesn't seem to be. He appears much thinner than the rest of the rasboras, and he has a bump on the side of his stomach. I'll try and get a picture, but I don't have a good camera so it may not be very clear.

1. What is the size of your tank?

20 gallons

2. What are your water parameters? State the brand of test kit used.

I have to check this but I'll be sure to post them in a moment.

3. Is your aquarium set up freshwater or brackish water?

Freshwater.

4. How long the aquarium has been set up?

Six months.

5. What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them?

7 harlequin rasboras. I've had them for 5-6 months now, and they're all about 1".
3 otos. Two are 1 1/2" and the other is a little under 1". I've had the two larger for five months and the smaller for two.
1 betta fish. He's 2". I've had him for nearly three years now, and he's been in the tank since it got started.
6 amano shrimp. They're all different sizes ranging from 1 1/2" to 3/4". I've had them all for different time periods ranging from 5 to 2 months.

6. Were the fish placed under quarantine period (minus the first batch from the point wherein the tank is ready to accommodate the inhabitants)?

All animals went through quarantine except the shrimp.

7. What temperature is the tank water currently?

80 degrees F.

8. Are there live plants in the aquarium?

Yes. I have dwarf hairgrass and camboba.

9. What filter are you using? State brand, maintenance routine and power capacity.

Two Aquaclear 20s. Each has one filter sponge and one bag of biomedia. Sponges are cleaned every two weeks.

10. Any other equipment used (aside from heater and filter which are two very important components of the tank)?

Nothing.

11. Does your aquarium receive natural sunlight at any given part of the day? What is your lighting schedule (assuming you do not rely on sunlight for our viewing pleasure)?

The tank gets a little bit of natural sunlight through a window, but there's zero algae in the tank. I leave the lights on from 8:30 AM to 9:30 PM, and the plants thrive in it.

12. When did you perform your last water change and how much water was changed? How often do you change your water? Do you vacuum the substrate?

The last water change was yesterday, and 50% was changed. I change the water every other week and I don't vacuum the substrate since there are plants.

13. What foods do you provide your fish? What is the feeding schedule?

Frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, beefheart, and a vegetable food.

14. What unusual signs have you observed in your fish?

Besides what I listed above, nothing seems to be wrong. The ill fish did get chased around and bullied a little by an oto yesterday, if that counts.

15. Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? If so, what treatments did you use? State your reasons for planning ahead of proper diagnosis.

No treatment has been done.

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
I'd say step one would be try to feed the ill harley a blanched and shelled pea. It could be something as simple as constipation.

CinnamonPearl

Professional Whovian
May 19, 2013
Long Island, NY
Thank you. I'll try it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store