where to get slate?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AM33

Registered Member
Mar 13, 2004
Visit site
Where have you guys found is the best place to get slate to use in a tank. I have searched and come up empty...any help would be appreciated.

Anthony

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
Landscaping shops and nurseries are about the best place I've found around here, it is still difficult in some areas (like ohio) because in the midwest limestone belt, many landscapers use Flagstone (limestone) Instead of slate. There should be a lanscaping shop around that has some though. Most LFS's carry it, but it's 2-3 dollars a pound and I can get it in the quarries in virginia for $15 a ton or less.

Richer

AC Members
Aug 7, 2002
Edmonton, AB
I echo the landscaping/rock supply places. I spent twenty bucks on slate, and had more than enough to supply my 66 gallon malawi tank and my 70 gallon tank. Well worth going through a slightly dirtier place (compared to the clean rocks at a LFS).

-Richer

daveedka

Purple is the color of Royalty
Jan 30, 2004
Columbus, ohio
I walk outside w/ a screwdriver and hammer
Some people just have it made, I cover rock quarry customers in 42 states, and 5 foriegn countries, I can get anything I want, but the security people at the airport look at you real funny when you have 150 pounds of rocks in your carry on bag.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store