Platform 55G Tank Bed Project - v. 1.0

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zbbal

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
Sevierville, TN
After a week of mourning the death of my Mbuna tank, I've decided to start up a project thread for something I've been working on this past half-year. Originally, these plans were created months ago to coincide with the 55G Mbuna tank, but I have horrible luck in this hobby.... However, I have brought my Dad in on the project, and his background in architecture is proving to be a great benefit. Currently, all the wood is being purchased and cut to size (when I'm not working at my job). Also, instead of rushing this project, I am going slow so as to prevent any problems, as well as reverse some of my bad luck in this hobby. As always, comments and advise are welcome! View attachment 207141 These are my (horribly) drawn out plans. My Dad is currently working on the actual, numerically correct version of the blue prints. All in all, the project is essentially a headboard/platform/stand/side-tables all in one. All of the various pieces will be connected, but can be removed for tank/equipment access among other things. The time frame for this build is 2 months, with a total budget of $1000 dollars including the tank. A lot of the lumber right now is being bought used to keep costs down, as I'm a relatively "cheap" guy. Ideally, the whole project will come in under $600. Of course, I have also included in the design a hidden door with access to the tank's equipment, etc which will be located behind the bed itself. I haven't had any furniture in my room for a little over 3 years (well, I have a futon mattress and a stand :-/ ) and I'm excited to have an actual piece of furniture, especially with it being outfitted with an aquarium. Seeing as I work early this coming morning, this is all I will be posting for now. I just couldn't wait any longer to post! Lots of details, stats, and a progress report tomorrow night. Please comment, for the good or for the worse. I'd love to see what everyone thinks!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
So is it gonna be something like a headboard fishtank?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Zbbal

AC Members
Jul 9, 2009
Sevierville, TN
Hopefully you guys can see this picture. Yes, it is essentially a headboard with a tank built in. The side tables are also attached to the headboard, as well as the platform the mattress will be on....I hope this all makes sense. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Pretty sure I couldn't get over fish eye-balling me all night long. Or worse...

Fish: "Hey.. what are you two doing? Playing leap-frog?"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store