Hello from Rhode Island

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CaptainDee

Registered Member
May 24, 2013
Rhode Island
Real Name
Denise
Hi, my name is Denise and I am from Rhode Island. My husband has always had a fish tank and recently he purchased another tank (125 gallon) and wanted to set up a "planted tank." I started buying plants and fish and am in love with angelfish!!!! We waited a few weeks after setting it up to add angelfish and for a while have done ok but now our angelfish are dying one by one and I don't know what to do about it. One angel looked like something took a bite out of her but nothing was chasing her. we put her in the hospital tank and are using some yellow stuff in the water. she seems ok except her the gouges in her scales and a small hole in her fin are getting bigger. We tried applying noesporin to her wounds before the medicated water treatment but they don't appear to be healing.

We had 2 white blushing angels that were a pair and were terrorizing all the angels in the big tank so we purchased another tank, waited for the water to cycle before we added them. They never really seems happy in the 15 gallon tank but a couple of days ago the male angel stopped eating and I found him dead yesterday morning. His belly was bloated. She is not eating anymore either but her belly seems fine.

3 angels in the big tank were not eating either. They were all huddled around a fake tree in the left corner of the tank. We have other fish in the tank but I have never seen any of them go after the angels and the angels seemed unaffected by them. I found one of the three dead this morning. Appearance wise, there was no bloat and seems fine on the outside.

There is only one angelfish that has lasted this whole time. A pearl scale that is absolutely gorgeous. I don't know what gender it is but he gets along with everyone and swims around.

I feed them twice a day and give them mostly flake food and every two or three days I give them frozen brine and bloodworms. My husband does the water changes and added a second water filter to the tank (we already have one filter on the water coming into the house).

i would like to buy a book about angelfish and taking care of them (one with photos). If anyone can recommend a good book, I'd really appreciate it. Also, if you can give me some tips on what I can do to save these fish, I would greatly appreciate it!!!! Thanks so much!

authmal

Pseudonovice
Aug 4, 2011
Phoenix, AZ
Hi, there. You probably want to copy most of your post, and paste it in a thread in the subforum angelfish/discus under the cichlid forum. You'll also save yourself time (and increase your chances of saving your fish) by answering the below questions, and adding it to your to your post.

What size is the tank you're talking about? Is it the 125? If you're talking about multiple tanks, you'll need to answer the questions for both.
What kind of stocking/plants do you have? Are there any new additions?
What kind of filtration?
What temperature is the tank at?
What are the tank's pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels?
Are you dechlorinating water before putting it in the tank? If so, what are you using?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Why do you consider the house filter as adequate for the tank?

Can you define "We waited a few weeks after setting it up to add angelfish" and "waited for the water to cycle before we added them" ?

Do you have a good liquid test kit?

What is the yellow stuff you put in the water?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store