Sick Betta (Dropsy?)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

h_king

Registered Member
May 28, 2013
I set up my tank a little over a moth ago and let it run for a few days, I then went out and purchased my Betta and put him in. I then came across the principles of cycling a new tank and read up on it (I now feel cruel that my poor Betta is in there but I didn't know).

Moving on, the next day I noticed that the tips of his fins were becoming colourless and some rays looked a bit damaged. I read up on it and thought it was probably finrot, so I began treatment with aquarium salt.

Two days after that I noticed his belly had become bloated, I assumed it was constipation so fed him a pea, which he passed no problem and his belly went down a little. However, the next day his belly was even larger than before. I did some more reading and am thinking it is probably dropsy and he probably contracted it during his time in the tiny jar at the pet store.

I treated him with Seachem Kanaplex for 5 days at the normal dose, then read that this could safely be doubled to be more effective, so treated a further 4 days at the double dose. Also stopped aquariums salt and started Epsom salt with this treatment. His finrot completely cleared up after the Kanamycin but no improvements with the bloated belly. Did a 100% water change and added no meds except Epsom salt and gave him a rest for 3 days.

Took my water to the local aquarium for testing and advice. Water looked pretty good (still waiting on my own test kit to arrive in the mail). Was give tetracycline in tablet form to treat for 4 days. It's day 2 of treatment and no signs of improvement. I also purchased an ammonia scrubber for the filter since all the antibiotics have killed off any nitrifying bacteria (not that there was much since his tank was uncycled to start with).

Betta has not been acting ill, very active and always begging for food. I have been soaking his food in the tetracycline and he is still going nuts for it as always. He is definitely not constipated as I have kept the bottom of the tank fairly clear so I can monitor his bathroom habits. His belly is bloated but not huge, still noticeable. His scales are raised only on the bloated area. He doesn't look discoloured or sickly. I'm doing 100% water changed every time I re-dose meds or Epsom salts to keep ammonia as close to zero as possible.

Please help, what should be my next coarse of action? Do you think he has dropsy or something else? Thanks in advance!

............................................................................................

Size of tank? - 20L (5 gallon)

Ammonia - 0.25ppm
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0
pH and GH - 7.4 and 10.5
Temperature - 26C (79F)

FW (fresh water) or BW (brackish) - Freshwater
How long the aquarium has been set up? - 1 month (approx)

What fish do you have? How many are in your tank? How big are they? How long have you had them? - 1 Crowntail Betta, had for 1 month

Any live plants? Fake plants? - Fake plants
Sand, gravel, barebottom - Little bit of gravel, mostly bare bottom
Rocks, woods, fancy decors? Any hollow decors? - no

Filtration - Generic brand, 200L/hr (52 gallon/hr)
Heater - Yes
Lighting schedule? What lights are used? - No lights currently
Any sunlight exposure? How long? - 8 hrs indirect sunlight per day

Water change schedule? - Every 2-3 days, Prime conditioner
Volume of water changed? - 100%
Frequency of gravel/sand (if any) vacuumed? - No

Foods - Nutrifin max small tropical fish granules
How often are they fed - Small amount once per day

Any abnormal signs/symptoms - Yes, bloated belly, raised scales only on bloated area
Appearance of poop? - Normal
Appearance of gills? - Normal

Have you treated your fish ahead of diagnosis? - Yes

What meds were used?

Previous:
Aquarium salt (to treat finrot)
Seachem Kanaplex = epsom salts (to treat finrot and bloat)

Currently:
Tetracycline + Epsom salts (to treat bloat as suggested by local aquarium)1. Size of tank?
20L (5 gallon)

Manafel

AC Members
Oct 10, 2011
Tulsa, OK
Real Name
Kayla
Dropsy is actually considered to be more of a symptom, rather than an actual disease. Instead of doing 100% WC every three days, I would do daily partial water changes. Sometimes doing very large water changes can do more harm than good.

The good thing about prime is that you can dose up to 5x the normal dose and it converts ammonia and nitrite into non toxic forms that can still be consumed by the bacteria.

Maybe do a 50% wc every other day, and inbetween double dose with prime to help him feel more comfortable. Until you can get your testing kit in to Measure your parameters well.

Sadly, I haven't heard of anyone fully curing their betta when it has come down with dropsy. That does not mean you should give up though. Hang in there and let us know how he is doing.

Sent from my PC36100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

h_king

Registered Member
May 28, 2013
Thanks for the reply. I will try the 50% water changes and double dose prime.

I've done a lot of reading on drospy and understand that in most cases it is too late to cure once symptoms become noticeable. I'm thinking if it is a bacterial infection in his kidneys, they are most likely irreversibly damaged after a month of being ill.

I will keep on trying!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store