Low light corals?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Hi! I'm considering putting my first saltwater aquarium. Just one problem, the one I'm looking at doesn't have any form of lighting, and you can't attach any form of lighting. Its a bio-bubble. So, two questions, 1. Is there any small forms of lighting that I could put inside the tank, like, maybe just attach to the top on the inside or something? 2. What are some really low light corals I could place inside the tank? Thanks!

SubRosa

AC Members
Jul 3, 2009
There are many corals which require no light. They need to be fed similar to anemones. Tubastrea, Dendrophyllia, Balanophyllia, and Rhizotrochus are some that are seen in the trade.

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Hmm... well, now I found out that it comes with a UV light, a small UV light. That's the same as natural sunlight, right, which will support coral? Even though they require no light, can Dendrophyllia corals still be grown in low-moderate light? What are some low-moderate light corals? Thanks!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Those things are nuts! Assume this is the light?

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=15405346

Maybe could support shrooms but I wouldn't count on anything else photosynthetic. If you go with dendros, etc, you will need to remove the dome to feed them. Broadcast feeding isn't likely to work due to little to now flow.

BTW, you may want to look into the sand issue if you plan to use any. Sounds like it plays havoc with the seals. Also, please don't put a clownfish in there :).

ppetropulo

AC Members
Jun 14, 2012
Colorado
Hehe... okay, no clown fish :) From what I can see though, I wouldn't need to remove the whole dome, just the little cap, and then use a really long turkey baster to feed them. Neh, shrooms are pretty though, so maybe I'll look into that. I was planning on using live sand... I'll have to do some research into whether or not it bothers the seals. That is the light I was looking at, although, they do have one that has 6 bulbs... do suppose that would make a difference? Thank you for all the info. and advice!

greech

AC Moderators
May 13, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Real Name
Graham
Not much of one. You could always hover a light above the dome. A PAR 38 or PAR 30 bulb would give you plenty of light and you could keep it high enough above the dome to keep it from heating the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store